News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

please look at my forum. Need refresh few times then forum will show

Started by mnn2, August 31, 2016, 01:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnn2

Quote from: Grammy on September 01, 2016, 09:12:26 AM
Quote from: mnn2 on September 01, 2016, 09:07:08 AM
I hope someone will offer help.

Redirect or not is not causing the problem.

Now I even change back the hkforum.org/index.html to static content.

Same old problem.

Do you actually own the domain hkforum.org, or are you simply hosting your forum on it and it has to be in its own directory?

Either way, if you install SMF into its own directory, fresh out of the zip, the way it comes (again, English is the default; there's no need to redirect to it) then it should load just fine, provided your URL goes straight to the directory, instead of redirecting.  So, if for example, you loaded SMF into a directory called "community" the address would be hkforum.org/community.  But, since you don't agree that the redirect is causing the issue, then yes, sit tight, and someone else will read this and sort it for you.

(You should not have a separate index.html in the same directory as your forum.)

Good luck.   :)

hkforum.org/index.html

hkforum.org/english/ <== SMF here

mnn2

Quote from: тнє נя. on September 01, 2016, 09:30:37 AM
Why would you change it back to a frontend redirect? That definitely increases the redirect time, I guarantee it. My guess is this problem is an issue with either a .htaccess or your forums configuration.

Fresh install. Not touch any setting at all.

Grammy

Quote from: mnn2 on September 01, 2016, 09:34:28 AM
hkforum.org/index.html

hkforum.org/english/ <== SMF here

SMF doesn't use index.html.  It uses its own index.php.  You shouldn't have both in the same directory.

But, perhaps I misunderstand and you're saying that the index.html in the root is supposed to take you to the "english" directory.  My problem is that I don't understand why.  If you're saving that root directory for something in the future, the redirect will cause big problems, when someone tries to go to the main root site for any purpose other than the forum.    :)

Kindred

I am betting that he has put in two or three redirects, between the index.html, .htaccess and maybe a host-side one as well

since the forum, DIRECTLY works just fine, it seems pretty clear that it is the redirect that is getting confused.  If I had some network tools available right now, I would bet that I would see criss-crossing redirects trying to take control
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grammy

He said in the beginning that he wanted to save his root domain for something in the future.  The redirect is confusing to me because, suppose he decided in the future, that he wanted his root domain to be a flower shop...   If I wanted to go to hkforum.org to buy flowers, I couldn't.... because it would keep redirecting me to the forum.  It just seems problematic, in the grand scheme of things.   :-\

Siirist

mn2,

The thing that everyone is saying is that you are creating the problem with the re-directs.

It is like trying to swim up the river. Get out of the river and walk. Like this.

If you want to save the root as a possible webpage that is fine.

Have the root load (your_domain(DOT)org/ {index.html is assumed or taken for granted})

Have a basic webpage with only a link to hxxp:www(DOT)org/english/index.php)

The visitor clicks the link because that is the ONLY thing on the webpage, and then your forum loads.

Here is a sample of a webpage I have that has a link to the forum in the menu.
hxxp:www.asanctuary.net/

Maybe this simple way will help you.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

having the forum in a subdirectory is just fine. many admins do it that way....  and it does making adding things like wordpress, a wiki, etc easier in some respects...  but the issue here is that whatever he has done for redirects are totally screwed up

it IS possible to bounce the user directly to the subdirectory using an htaccess redirect.
He seems to be using a body and/or header redirect...  and probably other redirects as well, which conflict, forcing the system to bounce bounce bounce...  and eventually, you get a good connection.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on September 01, 2016, 01:20:22 PM
having the forum in a subdirectory is just fine. many admins do it that way....  and it does making adding things like wordpress, a wiki, etc easier in some respects...  but the issue here is that whatever he has done for redirects are totally screwed up

it IS possible to bounce the user directly to the subdirectory using an htaccess redirect.
He seems to be using a body and/or header redirect...  and probably other redirects as well, which conflict, forcing the system to bounce bounce bounce...  and eventually, you get a good connection.

Precisely Kindred,

That is exactly why I suggested what I did and provided an example that shows placing a link on the page through a menu.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

mnn2

I don't understand why you guys don't understand  ;D.

The index.html at domain root => hkforum.org/index.html

Here is the code which is static html. Visit to this domain hkforum.org just click this link to enter the forum.

<a href="http://hkforum.org/english">enter forum http://hkforum.org/english</a>

I installed SMF at hkforum.org/english/

so that SMF index is at http://hkforum.org/english/index.php

When visitors clicks within SMF forum, all links are within hkforum.org/english/ and has nothing to do with redirect.

I already said, I did not set anything in htaccess.

Just fresh install of SMF.

Kindred

We do understand.

You have something causing multiple bounces, etc.
Whatever it is, it is not actually related to smf, because smf - when accessed directly works without delays or refreshes.
Слaва
Украинi

mnn2

Quote from: Kindred on September 02, 2016, 12:53:07 AM
We do understand.

You have something causing multiple bounces, etc.
Whatever it is, it is not actually related to smf, because smf - when accessed directly works without delays or refreshes.

I am afraid that was incorrect. Try visit this http://hkforum.org/english/index.php and copy recent posts' links and then visit these pages directly. Still need many refreshes before the forum will show anything.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

mnn2

Illori

if you are not the owner of the server, contact your host and ask them to help you out. this is why you pay them.

mnn2

Quote from: Illori on September 02, 2016, 05:15:36 AM
if you are not the owner of the server, contact your host and ask them to help you out. this is why you pay them.

At least I must know what went wrong first.

Illori

mnn2

Strange thing happened.

1. My web host told me nothing wrong.

2. I did new installation at http://hkforum.org/intl/

If access SMF forum using Administrator account everything is OK. If using guess account (means not log in), there is problem and need many refresh before the forum is showing anything.

I think it's permission problem. But it's fresh install and I never change any permission setting.

Who want to test my forum using Administrator account?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

mnn2

Quote from: Kindred on September 04, 2016, 07:56:24 PM
There is no permission in smf that would cause that behavior

So, do you want to test my forum using administrator account? I can PM you the name and password.

It works every time if using administrator account.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: