News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unclear description for "Maximum emails to send per minute"

Started by m4z, September 06, 2019, 12:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In many languages context is key, for example if some one asked me to translate "Set to 0 to disable" in to any other language I know, I would first ask in which context would this be used? Disable is not a word that is easily translated.

So, in english; super generic.
In other languages, eh - not so much.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Came across a similar issue in my IRL job...

"If you identified a custom directory structure for certificates during the previous step of the installation, Certificates should be in the directory..."

In English this makes sense....
however, it makes multiple senses....

The Japanese interpreted that to mean "The installer will add certificates in the custom defined directory. If the certificates are not added, there is an issue."
What it actually means "For a custom directory structure, certificates must be placed in the target directory before the installer is run."

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

m4z

When I read some of the previous german translations of some SMF strings, it was quite obvious that the previous translator(s) didn't understand what the string meant, or how the described feature works in SMF. And some strings were veeery loosely translated. ::)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Kindred

yeah, but loosely translated can work in german...   it's still comprehensible. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

All too often this becomes "I don't care what language it is, I don't speak it, not my problem and any old rubbish is fine because it's not my problem" :(

m4z

I totally agree: If you don't speak the language, why bother? Focus on improving the english "translation" or other stuff.

You can try to fix everything, but usually you can't fix it all yourself. Leave some of the "fun" for others. ;)
--Homer Simpson

Arantor

Developers should care on some level though because with a bit of care, they can make it less hard to translate sensibly.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Arantor on September 11, 2019, 01:12:09 PM
Developers should care on some level though because with a bit of care, they can make it less hard to translate sensibly.
Exactly, that is basically what i18n means. Planning and coding with international markets in mind.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 10, 2019, 11:31:47 PM
In many languages context is key, for example if some one asked me to translate "Set to 0 to disable" in to any other language I know, I would first ask in which context would this be used? Disable is not a word that is easily translated.

So, in english; super generic.
In other languages, eh - not so much.
Yep. It's why I didn't finish the portuguese one yet, I was checking every string (besides large phrases) in context. 2.1 made this even harder with the language strings that aren't used directly, so you can find where they are. English is considered so easy to learn because it is much simpler than a lot of other languages. And after a poor translation was already made, good luck checking eevery single string to see if it was correct.

In this particular case disable is very straightforward and there's no other alternative translation for portuguese, but it'd be nice if there were two strings, one for each situation. I was confused about this some times as well, while using the forum in english. It is just as confusing in either language.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Antechinus

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on September 11, 2019, 05:11:25 PM
In this particular case disable is very straightforward and there's no other alternative translation for portuguese, but it'd be nice if there were two strings, one for each situation. I was confused about this some times as well, while using the forum in english. It is just as confusing in either language.
In all honesty, I can also translate that one quite easily so that it is understandable, but then it's not necessarily good language - in Finnish, there isn't really a one word translation for disable
The go to translation I would use without context is "poistaa käytöstä" = "remove from use/turn off", and this can easily turn in to the problem described in the OP - what are we turning off here? The emails, or the limit? Specially if I have to make similar compromises with the other string. Just using this as an example, of a problem that is not really unique with translations.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

I'm not sure this ever resolved to a specific change.  Should we close it out?

This is a difficult discussion, since the broader question raised throughout is what needs to be done to 2.1 to bring it more compliant with i18n.  Which is a valid question.  But I'm not sure we have an actionable answer yet...

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

m4z

I stand by my original point, but I guess once you know what is meant, it's obvious. ;)
--Homer Simpson

shawnb61

Quote from: m4z on November 06, 2019, 04:51:03 PM
I stand by my original point, but I guess once you know what is meant, it's obvious. ;)

By the time you know what you're doing, you're done!

I'll close this one out. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: shawnb61 on November 06, 2019, 04:41:47 PM
This is a difficult discussion, since the broader question raised throughout is what needs to be done to 2.1 to bring it more compliant with i18n.  Which is a valid question.  But I'm not sure we have an actionable answer yet...
Agreed, this topic is food for thought and something to consider in a broader sense - but not an exact identifiable bug to be easily fixed.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: