News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

No admin login assigned during installation

Started by rhnegativeforum, September 10, 2016, 06:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhnegativeforum

Hi everyone.
I am bringing back my forum and used Mojo via Bluehost and noticed that according to the notification I have received an admin login and password, yet when trying to use it, it will not give me access and there is no user registered.
I have deleted the forum and tried another install and same thing.
What can I do to set up one manually or simply register and get that "newbie" account to become the admin of the forum?
I'm here because my forum is the only part of my site I am not proud of. I am here to fix that. Take a look if you have time to give me some advice and if you do, do so here.

d3vcho

Hello!

Maybe you can try to upload the files via FTP instead of using an auto installer. If you don't want to do that, maybe you should notify the issue to Mojo and/or Bluehost.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Kindred

We really do not recommend using a host's "auto-installer", because we have no idea what they may have forced or changed in the settings.
It is always better to do your own installation from our clean installation package (as d3vcho noted)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rhnegativeforum

Thanks, guys.
I have followed instructions and entered the password here:
http://rhesusnegative.net/rhnegativeforum/administrate.php
But as you can probably see, the
" Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "
message is probably still there (anything you can think of that could have gone wrong?)

I may have to do the autoinstall.
Do I first have to delete the database and db user?

In addition I had a forum on that particular url until 2 years ago when the host server crashed and all files were lost and I had only an older backup from when the forum first started. That backup I have uploaded to the current database in hope to see the old posts, but nothing happened. Something I will probably wind up getting to once I get things running, but just mentioning it in case that you can think of an easier way to go about everything.

Thanks again for all of the replies.
You guys are great!

Mike
I'm here because my forum is the only part of my site I am not proud of. I am here to fix that. Take a look if you have time to give me some advice and if you do, do so here.

Kindred

oh....   you are not even getting it installed?

You do realize that the user and database password are *NOT* the same as the admin account username and password for the forum?

However, if you are trying to restore and old forum, then you don't have to go through the install.

1- figure out what version the database was last updated to be...
2- upload the files for that version (e.g. if the database is 1.1.x, use 1.1.21. If the database is 2.0.x, install 2.0.11. If you had a beta or RC version, things might be more complicated)
3- use repair_settings.php to correct the database connection details and/or paths and urls.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rhnegativeforum

Sorry about the confusion, guys.
Yes, I have installed the forum.
To this url:
http://rhesusnegative.net/rhnegativeforum/
I followed through with the Mojo instructions and did everything correct (how could you not) and I did not receive an admin login.

The adding on of what I thought was the back up, I did after that figuring that might give me a login.
But now I realize that there is nothing on there, so I want to start all over from scratch.

So now I need to do first what?

Just delete all the databases associated and the database user assigned to it?

I ask because Mojo didn't let me try a second install until I did that.

Thank you again for your help.

rhnegativeforum

I will install manually as advised. New laptop, looking for new ftp client ... then let's go!

rhnegativeforum

If anyone is still around I would appreciate if you let me know a couple of things. Do I need to

Delete the folder /rhnegativeforum
All databases associated
the database user

before I can begin the install?

d3vcho

Hello!

If you delete the files of that folder and you're sure that the dabatase is clean, you can use the same data.

IMO, I would create a new database to avoid possible errors.

rhnegativeforum

Thanks.
Deleted all files, created db, created user, added user.

What's next?

d3vcho

Upload the download files (http://download.simplemachines.org) via FTP to the folder and then go to your forum URL. Then you'll have to follow the steps to install SMF.

If you get stuck, let us know. Also, have a look at this if you don't mind: Installing SMF

rhnegativeforum

rhnegativeforum

Completed step 2 and everything seemed to go well, the 3rd page is blank

rhnegativeforum

d3vcho

rhnegativeforum

Yeah. I will delete the install.php file via filemanager.

It says however

Your installation directory is still writable. It's a good idea to chmod it so that it is not writable for security reasons.

Does that refer to the entire /rhnegativeforum directory?

d3vcho

Yes, it means the entire directory. You should set as 755 for directories and 644 for files (this configuration works for most webservers, others allow 777)

With that configuration, I think the error should be gone. Also, have a look at this: How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Illori

somewhat yes, but some folders still need to be writable like the cache folder and attachments.

rhnegativeforum

Weird ... ALL directory files ARE 755 and all files are 644.
What do I change the cache and attachment folders to?

Advertisement: