Member list & when to prune?

Started by adapa, September 14, 2016, 12:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adapa

After a DDOS attack and a series of spammers... we have changed the signup method with an eye to strengthen access to only humans ;)
We're doing pretty well & haven't had an issue in the past couple of weeks

My focus is now on my member list. i have approx. 5500 members, 450 of them have never logged on.  does it seem reasonable to delete those members?
My follow up thought was to post a notice in the Forum announcements area saying something to the effect of 'All members will be purged if they haven't logged in within the past year"

what do other's do?  am i being over reactive?

d3vcho

I have managed a forum with over 88.000 users and we never pruned the users. And I wouldn't do that ever, I don't know why... If they registered maybe they just wanted something in special of the forum's content and they didn't log in anymore. I've done this a couple of times; when I wanted something of a forum that requires registration (a download or an URL) I just registered and obtained what I want. After a couple of years, my accounts still there.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Kindred

Although I tend to agree with d3vcho, given your spammer registration issues, I would sya that yes... a purge might be in order.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

adapa

thanks for the incite- you make a very good case for not pruning members who have logged on once.

I am still on the fence about the accounts that have never logged on.  There was some issues getting folks activated a year or two ago and a lot of double accts were set up.  Plus there are some spammers in that group too.

skb

My 2 cents worth. If you can identify the spammers, why don't you go for a 'partial ban'. You can retain the members and they can't bother you anymore.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Kindred

Banning spammers is basically pointless.

Delet their accounts and prevent them from even registering in the future,
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

skb

We are using a partial ban with the options, cannot post, cannot login, cannot register ?

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Kindred

Which, as I said, is basically pointless. Spammers will drop a banned account in a heartbeat and move on the other next one.

Deleting the spam accounts, and thus clearing out your memberlist of the spammer crap and preventing them from coming back is is much more effective.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: