Peoblems converting phpbb 3.0.12 -> smf 2.0.12

Started by LeonP, September 28, 2016, 06:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeonP

Hey! I am looking into switching a fairly old board with about 250k posts from phpbb 3.0 to smf instead of updating to phpbb 3.1, but I keep running into problems. Maybe you can help me with that.

At this stage, I am just tinkering around, to see if it works at all. I have a copy of the original board as well as a fresh installation of smf running in WAMPP (MariaDB 10.1.16, PHP 5.6.24). I am using the phpbb3 converter from here: http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=phpbb

Now, the first problem I got was that I got an error right away, saying that the system variable sql_max_join_size was unknown. Following a post I found here on the forums, I just removed the two sections using that variable from the convert.php, and that seems to have worked.

The next problem I ran into was, that the converter was having trouble with an entry in the the edit_user column. Since I do not care about edit notifications and intend to turn them off anyway that's not a big deal, and I just overwrote the column with zeroes in the original database. Just couldn't be arsed to find whichever entry it could be having trouble with out of a quarter million posts.

After that it actually started converting, did its thing for a couple of minutes, but then failed again:

Notice: Undefined index: convert_script in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 957

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 960

Notice: Undefined index: convert_script in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 972

Warning: file(C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert/): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 972

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 984
Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics...
Notice: Undefined variable: result in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 2479

Notice: Undefined variable: result in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 2480

Notice: Undefined index: db_fetch_assoc in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 1371

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in C:\xampp\htdocs\smf\convert\convert.php on line 1371

At this point, it had only copied over a handul old threads, most were still missing. I am no good when it comes to code, so maybe you can help me here. Can it be made to work?

adkaush

May I know what is the reason you wish to convert to SMF? I'm actually trying to do the opposite since there are no premium themes available for SMF :/

LeonP

Well, our board has its own theme and no matter what I do, I'll have to remake it anyway. Not that big a deal if there's a good basis to work off. However, that's why the faster release cycle for phpBB gets annoying. I quite like the SMF theme - the upcoming one for 2.1 that is. SMF also has a nice editor builtin by default and at least from what I know from previous versions of SMF the mod management works great, whereas with phpBB it's a pain in the rear end.

And finally - not that it matters, really - BSD is a more likeable license than GPL.

However, if I can't get it converted without too much trouble I think I'll just stick with phpBB - the most important thing is, that it works and that I keep the users and posts.

Advertisement: