News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ureasonable registration process

Started by frkweb, October 06, 2016, 03:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frkweb

It took me half hour to register to this forum!!!

Security code is SIMPLY ILLEGIBLE! I had to save the gif and look at it zoomed in a viewer, and even so it was almost impossible to read letters in it! I had to try and try and try and try...

Please change this verification process!

P.S. SAME WITH THIS POST! Users cannot spend their whole day to post a single message!

Shambles

The antispam for posting disappears after 10 posts, I believe.

369,179 members have coped with it so far ;)

frkweb

Quote from: Shambles on October 06, 2016, 04:49:43 AM369,179 members have coped with it so far ;)

Ok, so i'm the stupid one. It's very curious i had no problem registering to hundreds of other forums during my twenty-years web experience.

I don't believe nobody had the same problem, more likely they simply avoided to complain about it. Sorry for disturbing.

Arantor

Other people have had the same problem, and to remark that 360,000 coped is disingenuous when you realise that at least half registered before the CAPTCHA changed.

And there's been a solution to it for two years - switch to questions (since there's a mod to provide 2.1's multi language questions to 2.0) but no one wants to implement it.

live627

Quote from: Shambles on October 06, 2016, 04:49:43 AM
369,179 members have coped with it so far ;)
And ,many subsequent complaints.

Shambles

^ yep. Doesn't seem to hamper the spammers though - they make it through every now and again ;)

Arantor

Correct. It's been a couple of years since spammers had a better shot at completing the registration than humans. Which is why I not only wrote multi-language/multi-answer Q&A for 2.1 but went out of my way to backport it to 2.0 specifically for two people, one who wanted to use it and for here. That was July 2014. It's still not installed here because 'they don't want to make it hard to upgrade'... except I literally took the 2.1 code and made it fit in 2.0.

Suki

Hello frkweb, sorry for the inconveniences. I have bumped your post count a bit to bypass the captcha on posting.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Burt

Quote from: Suki on October 08, 2016, 12:06:43 PM
Hello frkweb, sorry for the inconveniences. I have bumped your post count a bit to bypass the captcha on posting.

Hey.... that's cheating.... ;D ... I see now... One rule for frkweb and one rule for the rest of us.... :laugh:
If you Sig. line is longer or higher than two line, you are just an attention seeker. Grow up!

Shambles

Looks like it was nugatory anyway, as he/she hasn't returned here since that time  ::)

fazeMark

Took 15 minutes to guess the verification code hahaha

Advertisement: