Problems upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.12

Started by MarkArka, October 11, 2016, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkArka

Hi SMF people!

I am having problems upgrading.

I am trying to upgrade a SMF 1.1.21 to 2.0.12 prior to a server upgrade which will break 1.1.21 due to php upgrade.

The forum was originally installed in its own folder, but recently was moved into the root directory (public_html) by someone else.
It was working ok in the root directory however, which is now a parked subdomain.

I have followed instructions.
I downloaded the large upgrade. smf_2-0-12_upgrade.zip
I backed up the database and files.
I extracted the files and uploaded them to the server overwriting the previous files.
I then attempted to run the upgrader

The upgrader screen looks like the first attached gif screenshot upgrade_php01.gif
'Try again' doesnt help.. but 'Try English' presents a more promising screen see attached screenshot upgrade_php02.gif
However, nothing I try in these boxes works for me.

I have the correct ftp username and password, but whatever I try for the install path fails with a message;
"550 Can't change directory to home/public_html: No such file or directory " or similar depending on what I try.
I've tried leaving blank, and every variation I can think of  /,  /public_html,  public_html/  home/jo******ch/public_html/ etc etc

The upgrade file along with the index and settings files etc are all loose in the public_html directory (see attached screenshot)
and you can see the other folders are there.

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stuck.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(By the way, accessing the forum (forum.mysite.html)  in a browser now just shows the following message;

Unknown column 'a.attachment_type' in 'field list'

but that may just be because I'm half way through the upgrade.)

Cheers,
Mark

Kindred

Make all the files chmod 664 and the directories 775
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MarkArka

thanks for the reply.
I have done that.
See attached screenshot.
However I am still unable to get the upgrade utility to work.

MarkArka

what install path should I try if the files are in the root directory (see screenshot above file directory.gif)

Kindred

The full root path...like /home/username/public_html/
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MarkArka

When I try that I get the following error

The following error was encountered when trying to connect:

550 Can't change directory to /home/jo******ch/public_html: No such file or directory

MarkArka

could it be that the forum is hosted on a parked domain?    forum.mysite.com

Kindred

path is different from url....

you would need to find out the actual path of your forum.

However... it sounds like you actually replaced the Settings.php from your old site, since that information should already be present if the old site was working.
Get the Settings.php from your backup and put it back in the forum directory, then try running upgrade.php again.
Слaва
Украинi

MarkArka

Hi,

>>>However... it sounds like you actually replaced the Settings.php from your old site,

No, I didnt, there wasnt a Settings.php file in the upgrade zip. So it didnt get replaced.

>>>Get the Settings.php from your backup and put it back in the forum directory, then try running upgrade.php again.

I did that anyway, but got the same error message;

Quote550 Can't change directory to /home/jo******ch/public_html: No such file or directory

>>>path is different from url....you would need to find out the actual path of your forum.

The path is coded in the Settings.php file like this

$boarddir = '/home/jo*****ch/public_html'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)

and  I am using
/home/jo*****ch/public_html
in the 'install path' box

MarkArka

Does the screenshot above;
upgrade_php01.gif
offer any clues.?
this is what I see when I first run upgrade.php

Kindred

basically, it is telling you that the path which you are using is NOT the path that the system is set to use...

I suspect that when you moved the old forum, you did not properly set all of the server settings and theme settings.
Слaва
Украинi

MarkArka

I didnt move the old forum.

This was done by someone who rebuilt the persons website, and is no longer in contact.

I believe all they did was move the forum files out of the folder they were in and put them in the public_html folder.

The theme settings were changed to point too the new location, but I dont know if any server settings were changed.

Are you able to advise the best course for trying to sort this out?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

MarkArka

thanks should I roll back before attempting this?
Like, should I replace all the files with the pre upgrade attempt versions?

Illori

try it now, if it does not work put the old files back and try again.

MarkArka

Hi,

Thanks for your continued help.

I tried using the repair_settings tool.

Paths and Urls

Cache Directory : Value not found
However the recommended value was where the cache folder currently is. So I chose that.

However

under Attachment Directory the path path points to the folder I believe the forum used to be located and underneath is the message;

Notice: Undefined index: database_error in /home/jo******h/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 594

Fatal error: Call to undefined function allowedTo() in /home/jo******h/public_html/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 595

and there are no 'restore' or 'save settings' buttons available.

Shambles

Do you have the file Security.php in your Sources folder?

Shambles

Do you have the following line in your index.php file?

require_once($sourcedir . '/Security.php');

If you do, it suggests there's a problem within your Settings.php file.

Check the following lines look ok:

Code (Settings.php) Select
########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir = 'xxxxxx'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = 'xxxxxx';

MarkArka

Hi,

Thanks

Yes I have
require_once($sourcedir . '/Security.php');
in my index.php file

I checked the Settings.php file and it has this

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir = '/home/jo******h/public_html'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = '/home/jo****h/public_html/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.

amd those are the correct paths.

Advertisement: