Upgrading from SMF 2.0 RC5 to current

Started by maximumrock, October 12, 2016, 01:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximumrock

Hi

I have an old forum that i installed back in 2010 or so.. version SMF 2.0 RC5...

Is it worth upgrading to the latest version, which i am reading is  SMF 2.0.12??

It's been so long since i have installed a SMF forum..Does the newer version have any mobile friendly features at all?? Also, is there a good tutorial on doing upgrades rather just installs??? i dont wanna screw anything up

Thx,
Max

Illori

we dont add features in patches. you should upgrade to make sure you have security patches in place.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

there are some mods that can add mobile friendly features or themes.

maximumrock

Thanks for the response!

I started the upgrade.. I overwrited all the files via FTP and when i went to run the upgrade. I get the following message

Updating Your SMF Install!
The upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

Click here to try again.

Any suggestions? I know the upgrade files did upload completely and all files were overwritten

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you upload all the directories and files in large upgrade package to forum root?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

maximumrock

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 12, 2016, 12:51:42 PM
Did you upload all the directories and files in large upgrade package to forum root?

Yes. I also just put the forum into maintenance mode to see if that would help..Still no luck

Illori

are you using a language other then english? if so you may need to upload the files for that language as well.

maximumrock

No. I have never used anything except English on there. I may have a couple old themes that are not being used, other than that.. the forum was pretty basic.

Kindred

my suggestion....

delete the sources and themes directories
delete all files in the root except Settings.php and Settings_bak.php

THEN upload and extract the upgrade archive
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

d3vcho

Quote from: Kindred on October 12, 2016, 01:08:24 PM
my suggestion....

Save a backup of those files before you do that, just in case.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

maximumrock

Quote from: d3vcho on October 12, 2016, 01:09:31 PM
Quote from: Kindred on October 12, 2016, 01:08:24 PM
my suggestion....

Save a backup of those files before you do that, just in case.

Regards :)

Ok will do..
I made a back up of everything including database prior to beginning :)

maximumrock

did as suggested above.

Same result. I hit refresh on the upgrade link.. same message..

Could it be a file permission control issue?

Kindred

if you actually deleted those directories and files, I don't see how...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

maximumrock

Quote from: Kindred on October 12, 2016, 02:03:27 PM
if you actually deleted those directories and files, I don't see how...

yeah, its weird.. i have tried it twice since.. ones from uploading the files via FTP and then also uploading them from extracting the zip file in root..

Illori

maximumrock

Quote from: Illori on October 12, 2016, 02:59:15 PM
try running What is repair_settings.php? and see if afterwards anything improves.

i think i see whats happening.. and it brought back a few memories..for a brief period.. i changed hosting companies about 4yrs ago for about 6 months.. and originally, this domain that the forum was on, was an add-on domain.. when i moved it back to old host, i made it the primary domain, so the paths on the Repair Settings is showing me that old path rather than the suggested path.. either way, i still got a backup.. will move fwd and see what happens

maximumrock

That did it. Thanks for the help everyone!! upgrade completed.. I will check out some of the mods that Illori mentioned about having it mobile friendly.. are those mods listed here on this site still?

maximumrock

Thanks!

I got one issue since upgrade. When typing a new post or reply..The text is not word wrapping to the next line.. keeps typing..  Not sure if its from the upgrade or when i tried install the package for the mod. the mod was only for the default theme.. this is happening on one of my other themes that was not touched by the mod.. i have since deleted the mod from packages..

screen shot

any ideas?

Illori

see if your theme has been created for SMF 2.0.+. this is a bug when using themes for SMF 2.0 RC5 in SMF 2.0.+. if you want to keep using your theme check the tips/tricks board, should have a topic there on how to adapt your theme.

maximumrock

Quote from: Illori on October 12, 2016, 06:17:48 PM
see if your theme has been created for SMF 2.0.+. this is a bug when using themes for SMF 2.0 RC5 in SMF 2.0.+. if you want to keep using your theme check the tips/tricks board, should have a topic there on how to adapt your theme.

thats probably it.. old theme.. its been installed since 2010 or so...But even on the default theme, it does that same error. I got no problem getting a new theme for the latest version, if that will fix that issue..but since it does it on the default theme, i wonder if the problem is something else?

Advertisement: