Moving to new host - database tables / content missing

Started by svendsen, October 23, 2016, 03:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svendsen

Hello, I need some help. I am about to move a big forum from one host to a new host.
But now I am missing all the content, all the topics.  But it still show how many subjects and reply's that are in each forum and subforum.

What I did was this:
* backup of the old files from the old host
* backup of the old sql file from the old host
* new fresh install at the new host.
* uploaded all the folders and files, but not index.php, settings.php etc
* uploaded the old sql file
* did run the repair_settings.php

I can log on with my old user and have the admin rights.
But the topics wont show, the forums are empty. I checked with phpMyAdmin, and the smf_messages have content but I see that smf_topics are empty. Is that my problem ?
Seems like the backup of the old sql file ain't complet ?

I also tried to just make an empty database and import the sql file, and then I am missing some tables, as smf_settings.
Seems like there is a problem downloading the sql file at the old host. phpMyAdmin dont work  for me either at the old host.

Is there a way to fix it ? I have some tables named backup_smf_xxx can these help me or what are they ?

Thanks for the help guys, I have been searching this forum for days now.
Sorry for the long post, ask away if something is unclear (english is not my first language).

Illori

yes missing or empty table will cause some of the issues you are having. you need to make sure your database has all tables populated.

svendsen

Is there any script out there, that I can use to do a backup ? I am runing the latest version.
I am all so in contact with the old host about phpMyAdmin not working.

Kindred

Well, first of all, latest is never a valid version. You should always reference the actual version number.

Second, how did you make the backup?

Third, the best backup is made from the host control panel...  then phpmyadmin...  you could try and external like mysqldump
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Quote from: Kindred
...  you could try and external like mysqldump

Myqldumper is superb for this type of work.

svendsen

mysqldumper did the trick, but now I have a new problem.

The site dont load the post it self, it loads the avatar, but not the post.
See the attached photo, and if I should start a new topic, please tell me.

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

svendsen

The problem was actually a mod. I had to uninstall it and then install it again. And now everything is up and running. Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement: