News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Editing the required post count for an existing membergroup

Started by Chalky, November 03, 2016, 04:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

Hi all, sorry it's been a while!  So many changes!

I don't know if I'm missing something here as I didn't think it was this difficult.  I have always had just one post-count based membergroup on my forum with all the members in it (0 posts of course).  Now I want to create a special Newbie group with limited board access and pre-moderation until they have their first post approved.  I can create the Newbie membergroup with required posts 0 and then all my members pop into that group because it's newer.  So then I go to edit the existing Member membergroup to change its required post count to 1 - and the option to edit the required posts isn't there!

I deleted the new Newbie group to see if I had to edit the existing membergroup first but the option still isn't there.

The only way I can see to do this is to edit the existing membergroup to turn it into the Newbie group and then create my main Member group afresh with required posts 1 and set up all its permissions all over again.  That seems like a real pain in the butt, especially as I'll have complaints or a full on disaster if I get any of those permissions wrong whilst recreating my existing group.

Am I missing something?  Is there no way to just edit the required posts number of the membergroup I already have?

2.0.11 - yes, the update to 2.0.12 is on my to-do list  ;)

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't change the 0 post count for first (Newbie) membergroup.  Create a second group, set required post count to 0, and all new members will be placed in second group.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

There must always be a group with minimum post count of 0, no matter what else you do, because without that, people will end up being bumped into the Administrator group next time someone posts...

Chalky

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I do get that, which is why initially I created the new group first and set the required posts of that new group to 0.  I'm not trying to remove the 0 post group.  What I'm trying to avoid is having to reconfigure the permissions for the membergroup I already have.

To clarify, what I have now is:
Members, required post 0.

What I want is:
Newbies, required post 0;
Members, required post 1.

All permissions for the group Members must remain exactly the same as they are now.  The Newbie group will be super-restricted.  I'm just trying to avoid the tedium (and inconvenience to the members while I'm doing it) or recreating from scratch a set of permissions that I already have working perfectly well.  After I set up the new 0 post Newbie group is there no way I can just edit the Members group to require 1 post instead of 0?

Illori

it does not look like it is possible to change the number of posts for the group newbie. you can set another group to 0 posts, but not change the number of posts for the newbie group. looks like either way to do what you want, you will need to rebuild your permissions.

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like you've renamed default Newbie group to Member.  That's the only post count group that you can't change required posts.  You've added a second post count group, named it Newbie, and that one allows you to set required posts.  You've flipped the names, but that doesn't affect the settings options, and there's no way to inherit permissions from one post count group to another.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Chalky

Quote from: Illori on November 03, 2016, 06:39:38 PM
it does not look like it is possible to change the number of posts for the group newbie. you can set another group to 0 posts, but not change the number of posts for the newbie group. looks like either way to do what you want, you will need to rebuild your permissions.

Thanks, that's what I feared.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 03, 2016, 06:41:27 PM
Looks like you've renamed default Newbie group to Member.  That's the only post count group that you can't change required posts. 

Ah, ok, so it is just because of that particular post count group.  I'd forgotten the process I'd gone through to get all our members in the same group regardless of postcount.

Right, so what I plan to do, for minimum disruption, is to create a new Members group with a really high post count so that nobody falls in it.  Then I can rebuild my members' permissions for that group until I'm happy that they're correct without having to go into maintenance mode.  Then I will change the post count for that group to 1 so that all my active members transfer into it, and finally I will edit the old Members group so that it becomes the Newbie group again with super-restrictive permissions.  That sound like a plan?  8)

Illori

Quote from: Chalky on November 06, 2016, 05:28:52 AM
Right, so what I plan to do, for minimum disruption, is to create a new Members group with a really high post count so that nobody falls in it.  Then I can rebuild my members' permissions for that group until I'm happy that they're correct without having to go into maintenance mode.  Then I will change the post count for that group to 1 so that all my active members transfer into it, and finally I will edit the old Members group so that it becomes the Newbie group again with super-restrictive permissions.  That sound like a plan?  8)

be aware that users dont get their post count groups changed automatically, they only change when the user has made a post. so you may want to put in the permissions for the new group live for a few days or a few weeks depending on your forum activity and then at that point set up the permissions for the newbie group.

Chalky

Good advice, thank you!  This is the first time I've needed to play with the permissions since we've had members...

Dav999

As far as I can see there are multiple ways to copy permissions from one group to another, "Set permissions like this group:" on the Permissions page, and it can also be done when creating the membergroup. Is this any different for post count groups?

Illori

seems that may work with the post count groups given that you have already enabled permissions for post count groups. but since i have not used that function i dont know how well it works or if it will do what is requested here.

Advertisement: