Some comments on 2.1

Started by lwiz, November 09, 2016, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwiz

After getting "beta" forum ready for testing and getting our users out poking both the new features and general feel I have some comments on 2.1.

In general after getting my upgrade done (huge thanks to albertlast for snappy fixes for DB bug reports and the whole work for getting PgSQL support up to par!) the forum itself feels good and snappy. Also both I and the users who have tested the new look and feel have been positive.

First the warning system - it feels like someone got a neat concept of UI gadget which was implemented, even if it doesn't make that much of sense. First - just a system of x strikes and out would be far more understandable and intuitive; three warnings and you're muted etc. The present percentage system makes very little sense - and even less when you can move the slider only 5 percent at a time - why not just make a 1 to 20 slider and leave the percentages out of it? The feature where one mod can only give certain amount of warnings to one user in a day is good, as there's then need for "majority vote" before user gets muted.

The pop-ups for attached images are bit too 1990's - even if implementing lightbox or similar was left to mod developers, the vanilla board should have bit more modern way of viewing attachments in same window as the board.

All in all, the 2.1 experience so far has been pretty much poositive except those couple things. Just have to hope our "essential" plugins will get implemented :)

-Reko

Illori

at this point SMF 2.1 is basically feature locked so new features are not being added. the warning system functions basically the same as it did in SMF 2.0.

Advertisement: