News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Help me

Started by Hwanma, November 18, 2016, 10:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwanma

how do I install favicon.ico
on my forums

d3vcho

Hello!

Favicon.ico is installed by default, so you'll need to be more specific. Post more info about your forum: forum version...

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

kubMCC

- Man hat niemals zu viele backups
- Vertraue KEINEM Wiederherstellungspunkt ..
- Der Kopf ist rund damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann! (Francis Picabia)
- Kein Backup; kein Mitleid!

landyvlad

OK so I placed a favicon.ico file (which is 32x32px) into the directory my forum is installed - www.domain.org/forum

I then cleared the image cache in my browser.

Should it show up now? Because it isn't....

Perhaps someone who hasn't visited the site before could click on the link and tell me if the favicon (as per the attachment) is showing for them please.

www.gsx1400owners.org/forum

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

ARG01

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

br360

I'm not seeing it either. Just to be sure- you uploaded an image to the same directory as where settings.php and ssi.php are? You named it favicon.ico?

Linkjay

Favicons will take a while (usually a couple hours) to finally show for all of the users of your website, that is if you installed it correctly. If it doesn't show up in a couple hours, try adding this to the beginning of your <html> tag in your index.template.php in your current themes main directory. This may be a little hard to find, but just look around.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Then copy your favicon file to the same directory as the index template file and wait a while. Then you should be okay.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 09:54:14 PM
Favicons will take a while (usually a couple hours) to finally show for all of the users of your website, that is if you installed it correctly. If it doesn't show up in a couple hours, try adding this to the beginning of your <html> tag in your index.template.php in your current themes main directory. This may be a little hard to find, but just look around.

Then copy your favicon file to the same directory as the index template file and wait a while. Then you should be okay.

My bad lol, ignore that he has it correct its just not showing YET.

As mentioned you could add the line of code he stated. Search and place it before this, if a link rel for favicon doesn't exist yet.
// Please don't index these Mr Robot.
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Linkjay

Quote from: oOo--STAR--oOo on January 26, 2017, 09:57:31 PM
Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 09:54:14 PM

My bad lol, ignore that he has it correct its just not showing YET.

Lmao. Saw that your post then added a thing to the top of mine then saw you removed it and then I removed my addition. All good lol.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 09:58:40 PM
Lmao. Saw that your post then added a thing to the top of mine then saw you removed it and then I removed my addition. All good lol.

Lol, confusing sometimes when you see something that should be working :D. Also to clear cache in chrome you would press CTLR+SHIFT+R... Might work in other browsers, some browsers you might have to press CTRL + F5 to do a hard refresh on that page. Of you could do it through your browser settings.

A good way to get fresh cache is to open your browser in incognito mode.

But I can confirm the favicon is not yet showing. It could possibly be because he has not included the line of code you stated. Most likely reason.

In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Linkjay

Quote from: oOo--STAR--oOo on January 26, 2017, 10:09:47 PM

Lol, confusing sometimes when you see something that should be working :D. Also to clear cache in chrome you would press CTLR+SHIFT+R... Might work in other browsers, some browsers you might have to press CTRL + F5 to do a hard refresh on that page. Of you could do it through your browser settings.

But I can confirm the favicon is not yet showing. It could possibly be because he has not included the line of code you stated. Most likely reason.

I have always been frustrated by how long it takes to fully propagate with some things on a web server. Like if I make changes to an external CSS file, it wont update until a while. I think it's because I use Cloudflare and it has it's own weird caching system. What's even more annoying is clearing my own cache doesn't solve that problem. So I will either host the CSS in my index file, or where-ever it's being used or make the edit and go do something else and check back hours later.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 10:24:42 PM

I have always been frustrated by how long it takes to fully propagate with some things on a web server. Like if I make changes to an external CSS file, it wont update until a while. I think it's because I use Cloudflare and it has it's own weird caching system. What's even more annoying is clearing my own cache doesn't solve that problem. So I will either host the CSS in my index file, or where-ever it's being used or make the edit and go do something else and check back hours later.

Been using Cloudflare for a long time :D I can certainly tell you why that is happening. When making changes to CSS files and any file really that Cloudflare would naturally cache, you have to be in development mode. If you only just pressed this button then it can take a few mins for development mode to take effect. You can then do a hard refresh ctrl+shift+r in chrome and it will show you the edits after each change to the CSS file as long as the 3hr development period has not expired.

Also, once I have finished doing all my edits and I am completely done. I then take it out of development mode and then goto caching and then purge everything. This will make sure that the changes will be sent to everyone on next page load once the purging has finished.

If you have just made one small edit, I just purge the cache without going into development mode.

Hope that helps :D

Edit: You are using an external mail server to handle incoming and outgoing mail right? Otherwise Cloudflare is useless if you have email sending enabled in your forums. Just out of curiosity.

In Design Phase!

Linkjay

Quote from: oOo--STAR--oOo on January 26, 2017, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 10:24:42 PM

Been using Cloudflare for a long time :D I can certainly tell you why that is happening. When making changes to CSS files and any file really that Cloudflare would naturally cache, you have to be in development mode. If you only just pressed this button then it can take a few mins for development mode to take effect. You can then do a hard refresh ctrl+shift+r in chrome and it will show you the edits after each change to the CSS file as long as the 3hr development period has not expired.

Also, once I have finished doing all my edits and I am completely done. I then take it out of development mode and then goto caching and then purge everything. This will make sure that the changes will be sent to everyone on next page load once the purging has finished.

If you have just made one small edit, I just purge the cache without going into development mode.

Hope that helps :D

Edit: You are using an external mail server to handle incoming and outgoing mail right? Otherwise Cloudflare is useless if you have email sending enabled in your forums. Just out of curiosity.

Haha, I will have to keep that in mind. I tried using development mode before but couldn't get it to quite work. Thanks.

Lol, I did encounter an issue with mail when I was trying to use sendmail with Cloudflare on my forums. I didn't know that this was actually the issue but I got in contact with my host and they gave me all of the SMTP details. To answer, yes I use my SMTP server to handle all mail from then on. 

EDIT: Actually I think I straight up use my hosts record that goes straight to their server. I have an MX record through Cloudflare that points to my hosts mail server, where mine is hosted, but I don't use that one. So actually I don't think my mail is handled through Cloudflare. I will do further investigating on this.

oOo--STAR--oOo

QuoteHaha, I will have to keep that in mind. I tried using development mode before but couldn't get it to quite work. Thanks.

Lol, I did encounter an issue with mail when I was trying to use sendmail with Cloudflare on my forums. I didn't know that this was actually the issue but I got in contact with my host and they gave me all of the SMTP details. To answer, yes I use my SMTP server to handle all mail from then on. 

EDIT: Actually I think I straight up use my hosts record that goes straight to their server. I have an MX record through Cloudflare that points to my hosts mail server, where mine is hosted, but I don't use that one. So actually I don't think my mail is handled through Cloudflare. I will do further investigating on this.

If your server is sending emails for things like registration, notification, news and what ever else then your IP is obtainable from the headers in the email that was sent to the person. So They can simply get the IP to your website by reading their email. Someone who wants to attack your site, this is general knowledge to them. Also your IP could possibly be resolved though DNS lookup.

There are also some Cloudflare resolvers that simply have a record of your old IP before you switched to Cloudflare, so its probably best to change your IP once you have switched to Cloudflare also, because some people do cache this and it can be easy to find IP addresses to websites that have not always been on Coudflare.

In Design Phase!

Linkjay

Quote from: oOo--STAR--oOo on January 26, 2017, 10:58:03 PM
QuoteHaha, I will have to keep that in mind. I tried using development mode before but couldn't get it to quite work. Thanks.

If your server is sending emails for things like registration, notification, news and what ever else then your IP is obtainable from the headers in the email that was sent to the person. So They can simply get the IP to your website by reading their email. Someone who wants to attack your site, this is general knowledge to them. Also your IP could possibly be resolved though DNS lookup.

There are also some Cloudflare resolvers that simply have a record of your old IP before you switched to Cloudflare, so its probably best to change your IP once you have switched to Cloudflare also, because some people do cache this and it can be easy to find IP addresses to websites that have not always been on Coudflare.

Huh, I didn't think of that second part. Yeah, I will definetly do this asap. I wasn't really worried about DDoS attacks because I have pretty good protection through my host. I tested my Cloudflare IP and my host's IP with a 5 GBs stress tester and neither of them really got affected. That caching thing is enough though.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Linkjay on January 26, 2017, 11:04:42 PM
Quote from: oOo--STAR--oOo on January 26, 2017, 10:58:03 PM

Huh, I didn't think of that second part. Yeah, I will definetly do this asap. I wasn't really worried about DDoS attacks because I have pretty good protection through my host. I tested my Cloudflare IP and my host's IP with a 5 GBs stress tester and neither of them really got affected. That caching thing is enough though.
Its all good, now that you are aware you can test it out yourself and know that you are a little more protected :D

In Design Phase!

Steve

Quote from: br360 on January 26, 2017, 09:39:39 PM
I'm not seeing it either. Just to be sure- you uploaded an image to the same directory as where settings.php and ssi.php are? You named it favicon.ico?

You did this and named it correctly?
DO NOT pm me for support!

lurkalot

Quote from: Steve on January 27, 2017, 09:25:21 AM

This one? http://www.gsx1400owners.org/forum/favicon.ico

Linkjay

Quote from: lurkalot on January 27, 2017, 02:10:37 PM
Quote from: Steve on January 27, 2017, 09:25:21 AM

This one? http://www.gsx1400owners.org/forum/favicon.ico

Yeah, he uploaded it but never put the code in the header thus why it's not working.

I also want to state, so this doesn't get confused later, there are two people asking for support in this topic. The guy that owns gsx1400owners.org is not the original guy who made this topic.

Illori

you dont need to put the code in the header, any modern browser should pick it up automatically.

Linkjay

Quote from: Illori on January 27, 2017, 06:22:20 PM
you dont need to put the code in the header, any modern browser should pick it up automatically.

Favicons don't get picked up automatically at least from what I have ever seen like ever. It requires that it be referenced somewhere in the code. Only time I have ever seen it get picked up automatically is when some other parent directory has referenced a favicon. Let's say I reference a favicon by html in the directory /cool. Then if I make a new sub-directory there /cool/test and in test's index, I don't reference a favicon, it should get picked up by it's parent index automatically.

It's been roughly a day and no favicon on that man's site. Clearly something's not right.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Linkjay

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Linkjay on January 27, 2017, 08:29:25 PM
Quote from: Kindred on January 27, 2017, 08:14:42 PM
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6798689/do-most-browsers-automatically-search-for-the-favicon-ico

Well clearly we could see that the favicon was not in the root directory but a sub-directory.

Exacltly. His forum is installed in a sub directory, if he put the favicon in his actual public_html directory next to his forums folder then the favicon would work site wide with most browsers.

Because he has it in a subdir, he would need to include a reference in his header..

So you have 2 choices, put it in your public_html directory or add the favicon to your Index.Template.php

It should work then :D

In Design Phase!

landyvlad

Thanks all. Haven't had a chance to do this yet - will later, but thank you for your valued assistance ! :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

kubMCC

Quote from: Hwanma on November 18, 2016, 10:00:30 AM
on my forums

It HAS to be in the "uppest Domain Directory" !!! Don't matter WHERE (Subdirektory/Subdomain) the forum is installed.
The Forum needs "index.php"
The Browser searches NO subdirectories, ONLY the "domainname.xyz/favicon.ico". Even if the Forum is in "domainname.xyz/forum/ index.php

Our forum is forum.domainname.domain/testinstall/index.php
The favicon.ico is stored in forum.domainname.domain/favicon.ico NOT in forum.domainname.domain/testinstall/favicon.ico

Works fine  :o
- Der Kopf ist rund damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann! (Francis Picabia)

Linkjay

Quote from: kubMCC on February 01, 2017, 06:47:47 PM
on my forums

It HAS to be in the "uppest Domain Directory" !!! Don't matter WHERE (Subdirektory/Subdomain) the forum is installed.
The Browser searches NO subdirectories, ONLY the "domainname.xyz/favicon.ico". Even if the Forum is in "domainname.xyz/forum/ index.php

The favicon.ico is stored in forum.domainname.domain/favicon.ico NOT in forum.domainname.domain/testinstall/favicon.ico

You're sort of necroposting and just echoing what we have all said so far. This post wasn't really needed at all.

landyvlad

Update - yes kubMCC is dead right. I did that and it works perfectly - for the benefit of anyone in future asking this question.

Thanks all.

Kindred

Or, as we have said... add the favicon definition code into the heade in index.template.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I'm going to mark this solved even though the OP hasn't responded. He/she hasn't been here since the day after posting and the answer has been given.

@ Hwanma - if you're still having questions about this, mark it unsolved and ask away. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

kubMCC

Quote from: Linkjay on February 01, 2017, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: kubMCC on February 01, 2017, 06:47:47 PM
on my forums

You're sort of necroposting and just echoing what we have all said so far. This post wasn't really needed at all.

Thank You for the compliment!! Maybe YOU ALL said IT, but YOU ALL did not explain IT (for dummys) ..... Think about IT ;-)

Advertisement: