If I had a beef with this site ...

Started by Steve, November 24, 2016, 01:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

... it would be the overly quick tendency (imo of course) to lock topics in the Chit Chat section. As long as things aren't getting personal who decides a topic has run its course and should be locked? And why?

Is it just a judgment call by any staff member or a consensus of a opinion amongst the staff? I guess I just don't see the point of locking a thread that people are having a debate/discussion just because there are differences of opinion. At least, that's the way it looks sometimes.

I could be wrong of course, I was once. :P

Oh, and if this belongs in Chit Chat y'all know what to do. :D
DO NOT pm me for support!

shawnb61

I think it's for good reason, though.  It's important to focus on your core subject. 

By the time it DOES get personal, that's too late.   You have probably scared off good resources who would otherwise want to help, but don't want to go back to deal with those other folks...  All for a topic that was... off-topic. 

Like that old advice about how to make perfect toast - toast it until it's burned, but stop a bit before that.   It's important to stop a bit before that.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Woraphat

I believe that the folks who are interested in only the core subject are unaffected by the current chit chat topic.  With 144 replies and only 1,101 views, that topic is not even registering with most of the members and guests who have viewed the forum since the topic started.  Based on that, I don't think it is scaring off any good resources.  Most people aren't even looking at it.

Illori

Quote from: Woraphat on November 24, 2016, 09:48:39 PM
guests who have viewed the forum since the topic started.

guests cant view topics in chit chat, just registered members.

Woraphat

Quote from: Illori on November 25, 2016, 06:09:14 AM
Quote from: Woraphat on November 24, 2016, 09:48:39 PM
guests who have viewed the forum since the topic started.

guests cant view topics in chit chat, just registered members.

Yeah, I did forget about that.

Steve

But a chitchat or general section by it's very nature will generate conversations in all kinds of directions. Everywhere else I've been the rules are relaxed a tad. I'm surprised 'staying on topic' is such a stringent one there.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Shambles

Advertisement: