using the word 'curl' in a post

Started by jjsmith, November 30, 2016, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjsmith

Hi

I have the 'mod_security' mod installed on my apache server and it's causing security errors when people use the word "curl" in a post.  (It's rejecting it because 'curl' is the unix commandline tool for accessing url's).

I know I can configure mod_security to just ignore 'curl', but I'd like to come up with a better solution that allows me keep the mod_security config.

To that end ... An idea I have is to create an smf mod that's a javascript function that looks for "curl" when 'Post' or 'Preview' is clicked, and just puts up an alert box saying you can't use that word - or maybe even changes the word to "c-u-r-l" and notifies the user with an alert box.

- Has anyone had this kind of problem with a specific word?
- Has anyone created this kind of mod?

Thanks

radu81

You should ask your hosting provider to disable the mod_security module, you will always have problems. Smf works best without this module
sorry for my bad english

jjsmith

Ah - I didn't realize there was so much discussion about this. 

Thanks for your reply - I've found that I may be able to upgrade mod_security, but I can also disable it if it need to.

Thanks

Kindred

mod_security can be useful -- but, in most cases is is worse than useless, because it is stupidly configured.

One of the best examples of the stupidity is triggered because I live in "Middlesex" county...    this triggers errors because the word "sex" is within that word...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: