How to Play mp3 Attachment?

Started by aj113, December 04, 2016, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj113

I want to allow users not only to upload mp3 files to my music forum, but to play them directly from the post.

So:

1. Users can attach a file to a post.
2. Other users can play that file immediately from within the post itself, without having to leave the forum.

Is this possible? What's the best way of doing it?

Kindred

no, not really....

one of the gallery mods MIGHT allow that, but it's questionable, at best
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aj113

Well that's a bit of a letdown. Hundreds of forums have this capability, I'm surprised it's not a stanard feature, let alone a mod.

Kindred

really? I am a user on hundreds of forums and don't think I have ever actually seen it, myself...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aj113

Are any of them music forums?

I guess this discussion is moot anyway. If the feature doesn't exist it doesn't exist.

Antes

We can move this topic to mod request board, so maybe an author come forward and offer a solution.

aj113

Colin

Definitely possible. I think this would be a useful mod.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

aj113

Excellent! Do I need to place a request?

Colin

Quote from: aj113 on December 06, 2016, 03:19:55 PM
Excellent! Do I need to place a request?

Your post here is just that. Hopefully we have a taker who wants to create it. :). Thanks for the idea!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

aj113

You're welcome, I mean, if it needs remuneration I'll certainly consider it.

dougiefresh

Looking for something like this?  I've got most of the new mod written, but I've still got to add the mime detection stuff to it yet....  It'll work on any HTML5 browser....

Colin

Colin

aj113

Quote from: dougiefresh on December 06, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Looking for something like this?  I've got most of the new mod written, but I've still got to add the mime detection stuff to it yet....  It'll work on any HTML5 browser....
That is exactly what I am looking for!

JeanpaulFX

HTML5 supports playing audio/video content by default.  Just use <audio> tag. but it supports only mp3, wav or ogg format.

aj113

As explained earlier, the requirement is for an attached file to be played within the post to which it is attached.

dougiefresh

Attached is a screenshot of the mod in action.  Here is the mod: Play Media Attachments

If you want to donate/pay for the mod, then please donate to donate@xptsp.com using Paypal.  Thanks!

aj113

Thank you. The download link is not working for me.

Also, 'link to mod' goes to:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry but no mod was found

Shambles

The mod is there - it's just awaiting approval.

dougiefresh

Quote from: aj113 on December 08, 2016, 03:03:24 AM
Working on this issue....  It should work now.

Yeah, I wish I could just submit a new mod and it be visible to all in the Customization Area immediately.....  The Customization Area doesn't work like that, though.  Putting it on my website (or attaching it) is the only way to "get around" that issue...

aj113

I've downloaded and installed the mod. It's not working for me, no player appears in the post after uploading a file. Do I need to do anything else when uploading an mp3?

http://hairymonsteraudio.co.uk/recordandrewind/index.php/topic,28.0.html

Antes

Quote from: dougiefresh on December 08, 2016, 09:11:44 AM
Quote from: aj113 on December 08, 2016, 03:03:24 AM
Working on this issue....  It should work now.

Yeah, I wish I could just submit a new mod and it be visible to all in the Customization Area immediately.....  The Customization Area doesn't work like that, though.  Putting it on my website (or attaching it) is the only way to "get around" that issue...

That is something I don't like as well, that area should be open for everyone who wants to do a beta release/test on products (with use your own risk).

Kindred

given some of the errors we have found in mods over the years.... no, that would be a terrible idea.
Additionally, until/unless the customize site is completely redesigned, and it can be made celar that things are untested, users assume that anything on our site has been validated as "not dangerous"
Слaва
Украинi

dougiefresh

I know, but it's nice to dream.....  And I never said my mods never have errors :p

aj113

So...what happens now? Sorry, I'm new to this. Do I need to place another request for someone else to make one?

Dzonny

aj113, you already got a link to external forum where dougiefresh attached mod pack itself. Just follow the download button and you can download it.

aj113

I've done that already. Please see my post five above your own.  Is there a procedure for when a mod doesn't work? I'm just looking for guidance here.

Dzonny

Did you get any errors during the mod installation?
Mod works fine on my test forum though, are you sure that you tried to attached supported file formats though?

I can't see attachments on your forum, so the URL you posted isn't really helpful.

aj113

The first post in the topic has an mp3 file attached.

aj113

OK this is getting weird now. I have logged out of the forum and the attachment has disappeared. But if you read the post below the first one obviously that guy can see the attachment.

Edit:
OK so to see the attachment you have to be logged in as a member. That solves that issue, but it doesn't explain why the mod is not working.

Edit:
I enabled guests to view attachments. Now, not only can guests see attachments, but the mod works as described.

So to the author:

1. Thank you very much
2. I think there's maybe a slight bug since the mod doesn't work if guests are not enabled to view attachments.

Dzonny

^ cant reproduce that though, on my forum guests can't see attachments but mod still works just fine.

Colin

Perhaps a link to your forum would be helpful.

Colin

aj113

Quote from: Colin on December 08, 2016, 06:53:26 PM
Perhaps a link to your forum would be helpful.

Please see post #20

Another note to author:

Mod does not work when core theme is enabled.

aj113

Ah, I think the guest thing was a red herring. When I enabled guests to view attachments, I also changed to the SMF default Curve theme at the same time. It seems that this is the issue - the mod only works with the default theme.

dougiefresh

I've been at work since 10am (it's 7:30pm here).  I'm back and will look into the bug reports that have been given....

Regarding your bug reports, I will work on them, but I may need/request more information....

aj113

OK thank you. To save you some time, try changing your theme, that stops the mod from working for me.

dougiefresh

I just installed the mod on my localhost forum, with the Core theme checked during install.  (See attachment)  I was able to play the attached file(s) using the mod in the Core theme.

So my question is this: When you were installing the mod, did you check the Core theme before pressing Install Now?  If you didn't (and I strongly suspect you didn't), then that would be why the mod doesn't work on the Core theme for you.....

Also, if guests can't see attachments, they will not be able to play the attachments.  Perhaps something can be done to make that happen, but I doubt it.....  More investigation is required to answer that particular question, and that may not happen for a few days...

aj113

You are correct on all counts, the mod is working fully now, sorry to have troubled you.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

dougiefresh

@aj113:  I'm glad that it is working for you.  You haven't troubled me.  Thank you for the feedback....

@Steve:  Thanks!

Ghislain.Dejoie

The mod works fine with firefox but not with internet explorer and chrome?

Steve

Works fine for me in Chrome. I don't use IE.

Colin

Colin

Ghislain.Dejoie

Ok, i look on every navigator :
work fine with Firefox

don't work with : (all latest version)
Chrome
Safari
IE 11
Edge

Steve

Again, two of us know it works fine on Chrome so there is something in your setup causing a problem. Are you trying it with a clean version of Chrome (no addons etc.)?

dougiefresh

Can you upload the song/file that you are trying to use with the mod and send me the link through PM?  I'd almost suggest attaching it to the post, but then remember that copyright infringement issues make that a dangerous suggestion....  O:)

I should also mention that the mod, like the HTML5 audio tag, only supports MP3, WAV and OGG files.

Ghislain.Dejoie

Hum hum, how to say?
I am ridiculous !
I did not see anything because I was not connected!
When connecting, the mod works perfectly with all browsers:
Firefox
Chrome
Safari
IE 11
Edge
Excuse me for losing you time!

dougiefresh

Steve

Quote from: Ghislain.Dejoie on December 28, 2016, 03:38:45 AMExcuse me for losing you time!

It's never a waste of time to have a problem solved, no matter how simple. Believe me, we've all made those kind of mistakes. :)

Ghislain.Dejoie

Hello,
It's still "the hindrance to turn in circles!"
I note a concern:
I am connected, I attach an MP3 file to a subject and I click on "Submit"
The subject is published, the file is attached BUT the reading bar does not appear!
I leave the subject published.
I uninstall the Mod (without erasing it)
I reinstall the Mod AND the playbar appears!
Bizarre

dougiefresh

Since the mod has been approved, I will not be answered questions about it in this thread.  Please use the Play Media Attachment thread for bug reports!  Thank you!

Advertisement: