News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Team Changes and Upcoming Releases

Started by Kindred, December 12, 2016, 08:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

Quote from: igirisjin on December 14, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
to stop losing staff.

do keep in mind not everyone that has left the team has left because of issues in the team, most people leave because they lack the time to dedicate to the project and need to focus on other things like their job and family.

charlottezweb

Quote from: igirisjin on December 14, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
I do hope SMF gets itself sorted out and perhaps makes its decision making more transparent and democratic - to stop losing staff.
It is falling behind too much and failing dedicated volunteers.

The most popular portal and always in the top 4 of mods, may well be closing its doors next year because there is no demand... people are moving away from SMF and it is not attracting  people as it was before.
Another stalwart supporter of SMF with a portal has recently forked 2.1 and left in frustration.

I have been using SMF since 2010 when there was so  much optimism. I do not want to make these comments but what else can people do... the management system is not working and not fixing it will just continue to hold back SMF.

A few comments from someone that was around before SMF back in the YaBB SE days...

The web is not what it used to be and Forums aren't what they used to be.  I could probably write a thesis on this topic but simply stated -- With the advent of social media and available platforms, forums aren't what they used to be.  I was involved in LOTS of forums 10-15 years ago that were incredibly active.  A lot of this is because it was a new concept and people loved focused communities, the new options it allowed, etc.   Flash forward, we have Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, etc. etc and in order to have a successful forum, you often need a niche to cater to...

All of that being said, I have paid attention to SMF through the years and the output/script has been incredibly solid. 

I get where some people may be coming from in a sense of insecurity if they are building their paid services around it.  I totally get that.  But at the end of the day, SMF has been a rock-solid platform.

Kudos to the team and volunteers.  I think there's tremendous things to come but to the "old-school" forum vets, I think the world has changed a bit.

I'd love to hear your feedback (mods - split if needed)  :)

Raja G

Nice to see improvements and SMF moving forward.

equinoxmatt

Why make PHP 7 patches for the 2.0.X line?  Would it not be a better idea to spend more time on finishing 2.1 (which is already has PHP 7 compatibility?).

Robert.

Because 2.1 isn't meant to be used in production, and most people still use 2.0. ;)

equinoxmatt

I know 2.1 isn't production ready,  that being said I don't see why we don't just patch security issues with 2.0.x and focus all attention 2.1 to a RC state.

d3vcho

First users complain because PHP7 is not supported for 2.0, then, complain because team want to bring PHP7 to 2.0...
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

equinoxmatt

Quote from: d3vcho on December 18, 2016, 02:26:47 PM
First users complain because PHP7 is not supported for 2.0, then, complain because team want to bring PHP7 to 2.0...

I am not complaining.  Just observing.

I *think* the vast majority would prefer the hours that went into making 2.0.x PHP 7 compatible,  would of been put towards 2.1.

When SMF keep saying they lack development time,  then surely it makes more sense to be most efficient with the time you do have.

d3vcho

I wouldn't like to start a discussion about PHP7 now that the problem is "solved"... I'll just leave you two disucussion topics regarding SMF 2.0 and PHP 7. Read them and you'll understand why the team decided to give SMF2.0 and PHP7 a bit of their development time. IMO, 2.1 is still the highest priority.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=540808.40
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=548881.60
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

equinoxmatt

Thanks for the links,  I hadn't seen those discussions. If it keeps some of the moaners away,  then maybe patching 2.0.x for PHP 7 is worth it.

I know this is a really broad question,  but after 2.1,  what is the plan?  3.0,  with a rewritten codebase?  Even if 2.1 is fully PHP 7 compatible,  whilst the code is relatively bug free,  it is extremely brittle and unfriendly for change.

That being said,  a rewrite is a huge, huge task and is unlikely given the current hurdle of getting 2.1 out the door.

byproduct

stop supporting 2.0

see what happens btwn now and 2.1. release

vbgamer45

Not a good idea 2.0 is the stable branch. Stopping support does not free up developers. The best way anyone can help is work on github if you want 2.1 faster.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

byproduct

that was part of my point
2.0 & a promise is all smf has going for it right now

treat 2.0 like 1.0 ... and there is nothing

plus, look how 1.0 is hanging on

no reason to think just because 2.1 rolls out, that everyone is going to immediately be a convert

Irisado

1.0 isn't hanging on, it disappeared years ago, so I assume you are referring to 1.1.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Apllicmz

Good. Thanks for the update!
Any News im here wait....

#jsDotx3

If I wanted to help you adapt PHP version 7.x, is there no problem?. It is sad to see as the project is going. I would like to adjust myself.

Regards.

Solved
(Life would be easy with a simple solution.)

equinoxmatt

Is 2.0.13 going to be pre new year, or after?

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on December 12, 2016, 08:13:10 AM
Now, you ask, when will all this happen. (shame on you for asking that! You know our mantra, by now!)  -- WHEN IT'S READY. :D   However, that ready will be "soon" (as opposed to "sometime") :)

:P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iaccountant

A big thank you to Suki, another big thank you to Kindred, and another big thank you to "The Team".

"Back when", when I was searching for open source forum software, I found SMF and was encouraged by what I saw, and the community that created and supported it, and all those who made me as a newby comfortable. Nothing has changed my mind since, and I have complete faith in where this is headed, whenever it gets here.

equinoxmatt

Quote from: Kindred on December 20, 2016, 09:34:53 AM
Quote from: Kindred on December 12, 2016, 08:13:10 AM
Now, you ask, when will all this happen. (shame on you for asking that! You know our mantra, by now!)  -- WHEN IT'S READY. :D   However, that ready will be "soon" (as opposed to "sometime") :)

:P

I thought I would at least try and get an answer :)  I was just wondering if I could get the update done before I go away for xmas / new year.

Advertisement: