News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need to convert from proboards/forums.net

Started by bikenut, December 12, 2016, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikenut

Hi guys! I own a forum on proboard's white label srvice called forum.net [nofollow]. It's costing me almost $80 per month with their charges and I think it's time that I move over to forums.net [nofollow].

Margeret was going to help me but I havent seen him on here in a while, hope he is ok?

Does anyone want to take on a project and help me?

The forum has just over 100,000 posts and growing.

vbgamer45

Are you able to get an sql dump of your forum?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

bikenut

vbgamer45

Send me a pm with a link to the data dump I can take a look and see how hard it is.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

bikenut

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 12, 2016, 11:45:52 PM
Send me a pm with a link to the data dump I can take a look and see how hard it is.

Ooh, I missd your reply in December. Still interested in helping?

vbgamer45

You can send it to me. I am kind of busy but can take a look.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

bikenut

vbgamer45

PM me either a link to the file such as dropbox/weblink would be best

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

bikenut

Update.

A friend and I tried to convert the database from forums.net [nofollow] to SMF. The problem is memebrs and passwrods are all phucked up.

Example. A post or thread that was actually started by member A shows in SMF that it was posted by member B.

Same thing with messages. A message sent to me from member x actually shows that it came from member Y.

On forums.net [nofollow] the password is stored in the database as VARBINARY, which indeed is binary and not VARCHAR, which means there is more than just SHA256 hashing occurring. Forums.net/Proboards [nofollow] wont give me any more info.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hauzer

Hi,

Passwords cannot be converted over unfortunately, as SMF (as does each bulletin board) handles encryption differently; therefore all members will be required to reset their password to regain access to their account.

As for conversion, doesn't the regular ProBoard/Forums.net to SMF converter work for you? If not, please let me know about any problems.

Kind regards.

Advertisement: