Possible to remove jquery?

Started by oOo--STAR--oOo, December 19, 2016, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oOo--STAR--oOo

I see with the new 2.1 that it requires Jquery, have you thought about removing Jquery as you don't really need this any more. And some people like me, don't want to use it. I also see that various jquery plugins are used also. Is it possible to remove Jquery at all or are the main developers all for Jquery and don't want to part?

I do understand that you need it because of the SCEditor you are using but I might have a solution for you in regards to that as I am making my own editor that is pure Javascript with cross browser compatibility, but will not be supporting old browsers like IE 6 because it would be too much work for less than 1% of users lol. Regardless of weather you want to replace the current editor, I am still making one and will share it with you guys here so you can have that as an option once finished.

Anyway, I should have a working example soon for you and would like to know your stance on Jquery and the various plugins you are also using for things like popups and what not that you can achieve in CSS (minus the dragging option). I'm not a fan of Javascript plugins that really are not needed.
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Illori

at this point in development of SMF 2.1 i dont see this changing. it has been too long with the use of jquery that the removal would be a large step backwards and slow down development more then it is already.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Illori on December 19, 2016, 01:57:41 PM
at this point in development of SMF 2.1 i dont see this changing. it has been too long with the use of jquery that the removal would be a large step backwards and slow down development more then it is already.

That is totally understandable and reasonable. TBH after looking at 2.1 it would be a huge task but it would be nice to not have to use it :).

I'll crack on anyway with what I am doing and soon will be contributing what I have developed myself once I have finished all the developments I have been making. I work on many things at once :S
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Arantor

Even if it could be removed, there is a definite case for keeping it for all the mods that want to use it and don't have to keep bundling their own, which is the original reason it was bundled in the first place.

Colin

Sorry, for now it stays :). I agree jquery isn't fantastic, but it is widely used and probably will end up on most forums with mods requiring it anyways (as Arantor mentioned).
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: