News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Missing Database dropdown selection in installer

Started by interiorfamily, December 20, 2016, 05:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

interiorfamily

Hello everyone!  I've downloaded  two different versions (2-0-12 tarball and 2-0-12 zip) with the same result.  I have created a PostgreSQL database and user.  When I get to step 3 (attached screenshot) the database type drop down list is MISSING!! So, it is seems to be detecting mysql but doesn't detect my PostgreSQL installation which does exist.  I don't know if this is a bug however without the dropdown I can't use PostgreSQL.  Hopefully someone can assist me with this issue as I really do want to use this forum system for my businesses! :)

ziycon

Are you sure that your PHP configuration is picking up PostgreSQL configuration, if you run phpinfo(); do you see PostgreSQL listed?

Kindred

Also, out of curiosity  it you have mySQL, why are you trying to use PostgreSQL?

(Although supported by the core product, some mods will not work on Postgre and mySQL receives better, overall, support)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

albertlast

Here the short information:
when smf 2.0 find only one database driver (like pg_connect) it doesn't  show the selected database
when you use not the default port(5432) of pg than you need to change code in Subs-Db-postgresql.php line 56 and 58:
password=\'' . $db_passwd . '\'');
->
password=\'' . $db_passwd . '\' port=\'<your_port>\'');

a good reason for pg it's run with php 7.0+

but to be honest the big support for pg is coming with smf 2.1

interiorfamily

I realize the issue now.  I had installed PostgreSQL in a manner in which PHP was not detected.  In a real sense I am glad I see the error of my way, on the other hand This does bring me back to questioning myself.  This install is temporarily suspended until either I resolve the PostgreSQL issue or simply install with a MySQL database.  Decisions...

After reading everyone's responses.. I will use a MySQL db for the fora (what I am calling my forums...)

Thank you  all for your responses.

interiorfamily

Hello! I decided to use my mariaDb/MySQL and installed my Board!  It is up and running.  I do have a few things to work out now that I overcame some frustrations.

interiorfamily

I want to thank everyone graciously for their valuable input on this topic.  My whole issue was that I installed PostgreSQL outside of my cPanel and I have added PostgreSQL to cPanel what I failed to do and still haven't done is add PostgreSQL to PHP.  So to work around this, I chose to add a mariadb (mySQL) database and user through my cPanel and was able to complete my now operational forum.  If anyone is interested and I don't violate the forum rules, I will link that here or I can post that elsewhere or a mod can edit this post and move that to an appropriate place. 

My forum (aka The Interior Family Fora) is hxxp:interiorfamily.net/forahere [nonactive]

Thank you again,

Interior Family

Advertisement: