Boards which are visible for guests

Started by bharat, December 21, 2016, 04:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharat

I would like to know if it is possible to make Boards of the forum visible for guests but at the same time they won't be able to see topics inside.

Kindred

only with a mod...

However, as I have said a whole bunch of times -- doing so is not recommended. Many people, like me, will leave a site that does this sort of activity and never return.

In the core of SMF - you can only see something if you have the permissions to complete the action.
Displaying the boards, but not allowing guests (or users) to see the posts in those boards is baiting...

however, there are one or two mods that will let you do it, if you still insist on doing so.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bharat

I was thinking about opening our forum for the guests but I don't want them to see or read topics which are posted there, that's why I asked if it is possible to do that.

Kindred

yes, I understand what you want to do... and I explained why it is a bad idea to do what you are describing...   However, as I also said, there are one or two mods that allow you to do it (you'll have to search. I am on a mobile device and can't easily look up the links for you)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Pipke

this mod will do what you're trying to achieve ****

Edit: took out link as it lead to an avatar pack. I believe you meant this one: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2309
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

bharat

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking that maybe I can make all topics visible but without an option to open and read them. Probably it would be a better idea. Is there a way without mods?

Illori

there is no way to do that without a mod.

bharat

Do i need to use the same mod which was posted earlier or some other one?

Arantor

It will also hurt your search engine ranking to do so.

bharat

I just enabled option Allow guest to see the forum and there is still nothing visible for them, should it be like this? I didn't install any mod yet.

Arantor

Yes, all that option does is show or hide the forum overall, whether to even see the forum requires login or not. It does not change access to boards.

Deaks

Arator could it not be done with if command ...

if ($context['user']['is_logged'])
{
echo '

<-- the code for boards here -->

}

else
{
echo '
Hello Guest
}
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Illori

if the user knows the URL for a topic they would still get access, that is not what the op wants. even if they know the URL for a board they can get into it.

Deaks

not if you add the code to say MessageIndex.template and Display.template ....
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Quote from: Bryan D on January 06, 2017, 09:11:46 AM
not if you add the code to say MessageIndex.template and Display.template ....

And RSS feeds and portals and any other mod... and it still puts users off from visiting!

Deaks

ok it would show in some area's but they wouldnt be able to read it directly. 
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Arantor

Yes but you know as well as I do that baiting guests is usually a really bad idea.

Deaks

not saying its not a good idea, just saying it is possible, if the OP wants to bait guests then its his choice not ours.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Arantor

I feel that we have a duty of care to strongly discourage people from doing things that will provably hurt their forum.

Deaks

Morality issue is on his end not ours, he asked for assistance you have stated the warning if the OP still wishes to go with it then it is his choice.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Advertisement: