The search function in my forum has not been working well for ages

Started by RedPanda2013, December 26, 2016, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hi, I can't remember what a friend of mine disabled or edited years ago attempting to make the forum load faster and now that I changed server I would like to fix that issue too.

Nearly every time I try searching something I get this error (translated in English):

QuoteThere was an error!
Because of the excessive load on the server, the search function has been automatically and temporarily disabled. Please try again later.

What can I do? Thank you

d3vcho

Hello!

Is Load Balacing enabled in your forum? Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > Load Balacing

If so, please, try disabling it and tell us if the error is gone.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

RedPanda2013

d3vcho

Ciao! Yes, that is. Just disable it and tell us what happens.

Sir Osis of Liver

Admin -> Search -> Search Method

A search index can greatly improve the performance of searches on your forum. Especially when the number of messages on a forum grows bigger, searching without an index can take a long time and increase the pressure on your database. If your forum is bigger than 50.000 messages, you might want to consider creating a search index to assure peak performance of your forum.

Note that a search index can take up quite some space. A fulltext index is a built-in index of MySQL. It's relatively compact (approximately the same size as the message table), but a lot of words aren't indexed and it can, in some search queries, turn out to be very slow. The custom index is often bigger (depending on your configuration it can be up to 3 times the size of the messages table) but it's performance is better than fulltext and relatively stable.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

RedPanda2013

well...certainly my forum has more than 50,000 messages.

just myself wrote nearly 30,000 posts in 5 years so far.

Unfortunately I can't see that path:

Admin -> Search -> I get error...so I guess I need to try what "d3vcho" suggested me to do.

Should I also edit those values?

Thank you guys!

d3vcho

Maybe you can increase the value for "Threshold to disabling search", if you want to keep enabled Load Balancing.

Also, what error do you get when you enter in "Search"?

RedPanda2013

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: