News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

User Feedback on 2.1

Started by Vegeta_gameland, January 03, 2017, 09:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegeta_gameland

User feedback on 2.1

I was in need for a smf solution for arm processors and raspberry py 3. (that being said, it means php7, mariadb and off course, arm compatibility)
2.1 did the trick very well, looks, and works very satisfying, as all the smf products, and i am a fan of this forum and community for over 10 ears.

A big tnx and a box of bear to the person that came up with the compatibility solution for mods. Works grate and it needs only a text after failed install that should send you to the compatibility install.

The themes that don`t mix... i think is a work in progress and i don`t want to comment on that.
BTW, the only theme that works with 2.1 beta 2 is Lunarfall and it is work in progress for all i can see. Can be installed using the path on the server, not the upload button.
I don`t like the theme, but it is a start.
Maybe a solution is a compatibility mod/pack like for mods.

The Quick-Reply should have a disable button of some sort, even if it is a future that is world known to be the smartest way, i don`t like it and i consider it looks ugly and makes the forum ugly. With some php changes, this can be done by most of the admins, so no big deal after all.

EzPortal works very good on 2.1 and it is a big help

I only need a converter for an offline database to 2.1
I have a solution for that but i don`t feel like building a vm with an old linux and old php and mysql versions, only to install an old smf and upgrade to 2.0. But this is my problem.

I see on forum discussions for 2.0 on php7. I managed to make that pretty easy with a online forum and some "modifications on php code". It is a good thing to be able to use the last versions of the tools online. It is a safe way. And smart too. 2.0 is a stable release and should have access to all the new technologies available.

That being said, i want to thank all the people that worked and helped this project, because the end product is very useful, safe and can bang head to head with all the major players in this market.

Antes

Lunarfall was an experimental project on SMF 2.1 template system. I'll update it at some point but not sure when :), you can comment on Curve2, we really need feedback on that area so we can improve/change things if needed.

Vegeta_gameland

You may not like what i have to say :)

Vegeta_gameland

I found some troubling thing, here, on the forum, and on my 2.1 forum also.
Why is the verification code so little? The forum bots are blind or almost?
Is frustrating to post only after i lessen to words.

Kindred

well, Captcha here goes away soon...

in general, we suggest not using CAPTCHA on your own sites anyway...
Use questions...   or, reCAPTCHA has been added into 2.1 for the eventual beta 4 release.

As for not liking what you have to say...  go ahead and say it. We are not all that thin-skinned.
That being said, we may end up disagreeing with your comments and not change things, so there MAY be a change based on comments, there may not...
(for example, it is unlikely that we will disable the quick reply)
However, if you don't comment, there is no chance of change at all. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Vegeta_gameland

Curve2 feedback.

For start, is not well aligned (Capture1.jpg attached).
The Category field and the Board field are way to big and childish(Capture2.jpg attached). 
I know ezportal is not current project, but i look for a theme that integrates ezportal much more better (Capture3.jpg attached).
Admin rolldown is not doing what i need. Functions grate but the 3 submenus there are not that i usualy need and maybe there should add a module for customize that rolldown.
The Info Center is not removable on the Curve2 theme. On Lunarfall it does not show if i remove all checks in settings.
But i like the colors, except the name of the boards (in my opinion should be blue or some sort of blue related) and the menu button color when you are on the current page.
I learn by the years that the nit and very cool graphics are the ones that have high contrast or the ones that have smooth variations of the same color.
I liked the links from the down/right corner, mostly terms and rules.

Sorry for posting this here, but i can`t seam to find the right place for comment on Curve2 Theme

Kindred

For reviews, please do make sure that you are using the latest download from GitHub?

Because the majority of the things that you report can not be duplicated on the current revision

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Vegeta_gameland

it has to be a few days old
i will update and post back

Vegeta_gameland

i used for install tar.gz from download section :D
from 16 jul 2015 ...
i need some help if you want feedback from 2.1 to date

i think this is the git https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 [nofollow] but is not enough

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Vegeta_gameland

sorry
i manage to find out that was in my face all along

Vegeta_gameland

please disregard my previous comments, they all are based on a old version

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Antes

Thank you for your feedback, some tips;

1) Please do not compare 3rd party themes (yes even its made by me or other team member its still count as 3rd party) with Curve2.
2) Please do not test/compare theme with modifications. Those type of errors (ref: attachment 3) needs to be reported to mod author.

Thank you for your time to help us, hopefully your feedback will continue in the future.

Vegeta_gameland

Completely different with beta3.

I like how it presents on my mobile.
The rolldown suggestion still remains. Somewhere in the admin menu should be somthing like this: What submenus do you want on admin button?
Info Center still can be turned off completely from checks.
The colors: i know that is the colors of the logo or variations from it, but there are to many colors on the theme (my opinion is that red should be blue :D... i am joking...)

But now the theme is looking grate.

Tomorrow i will have some fun with this new beta3 forum.

Kindred

The goal of SMF is to be SIMPLE. :) We just removed a whole bunch of options which were never used - so adding a whole new set of options is unlikely. :D

So, no....  we probably won't make the menus cusotmizable...  not the least of the reasons why, that would be a major change in coding, functionality and design...   which is something we try to avoid once we go into beta.

Then again, it's simple enough for you to customize the admin sub-menu yourself in Subs.php
Слaва
Украинi

@rjen

Since you are asking for feedback on Curve2, let me bring something to your attention.

I have a test site with 2.1 Beta3 at: test.fjr-club.nl

This site I am using for testing for some time, and I like the current desing of 2.1, except for one thing:
on the forum index the different boards are not lining up properly. I believe this is due to different sizes of my board descriptions and the use of divs instead of tables. It is looking a bit 'messy' though...

Any ideas about that?

See attachment or visit my test forum... http://test.fjr-club.nl/index.php?action=forum

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

d3vcho

Quote from: @rjen on January 03, 2017, 03:25:21 PM
Since you are asking for feedback on Curve2, let me bring something to your attention.

I have a test site with 2.1 Beta3 at: test.fjr-club.nl

This site I am using for testing for some time, and I like the current desing of 2.1, except for one thing:
on the forum index the different boards are not lining up properly. I believe this is due to different sizes of my board descriptions and the use of divs instead of tables. It is looking a bit 'messy' though...

Any ideas about that?

See attachment or visit my test forum... http://test.fjr-club.nl/index.php?action=forum

That's curious, it's not happening to me. Are you using FireFox?
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

@rjen

It shows this way in Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer, but on a wide screen. On a smaller screen they align..
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

d3vcho

Seems like you're using a different font family so the text is a little bit screwed up, because I use Chromium...
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Advertisement: