News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to modify members online

Started by Sleezy, January 11, 2017, 11:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleezy

At the bottom of my forum and other forums, I have seen some regular members and even guests, their status is "nothing, or nothing you can see". What is tis and is there a way to get rid of it?
SMFNew Advocate for SMFNew (Dagger)

Kindred

there is no way to get rid of it.... they are doing something which is not documented in the action list
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Or, they're going to topics that have since been deleted.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2017, 11:54:59 AM
there is no way to get rid of it.... they are doing something which is not documented in the action list

Yes, this can happen to some older modules that don't update the who's online page with the proper language description of the module, the action might still be there but the language file might be different now...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sleezy

Steve

Marking solved as Temptest's question has been answered. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Funny, neither Kindred nor Bob's answers are correct.

Unknown Action is the message they're referring to for when someone goes to an action=something when something isn't defined, usually for bad mods that didn't bother to fix this.

'Nothing or nothing you can see' is for when the user is going to a page that the person viewing the who's online list can't see (e.g. non admins looking at the who's online page while the admin is in the admin panel), or for when nothing can be found (e.g. board or topic no longer exists)

Sleezy

What about when it shows it for guests? They have pretty limited access.

Arantor

If a guest goes to a topic, even if they can't see it, it doesn't matter, the act of what they were trying to see is recorded, and the message shown to the admin includes the topic they were viewing - even if they were unsuccessful.

If you as admin were seeing the 'nothing or nothing you can see' message from a guest, they were accessing a topic that no longer exists because you would see the topic name as admin if it still existed because you can see everything.

Sleezy

I'm still confused. How can a guest see a topic that no longer exists?

Arantor

They can't. The system merely records what they're trying to do.

For example, suppose a topic were created, got indexed by Google, and subsequently deleted for whatever reason. Google would continue to visit that page anyway at least for a while, and generate this situation.

Sleezy

Quote from: Arantor on January 11, 2017, 05:05:29 PM
They can't. The system merely records what they're trying to do.

For example, suppose a topic were created, got indexed by Google, and subsequently deleted for whatever reason. Google would continue to visit that page anyway at least for a while, and generate this situation.

Does that mean that they are most likely bots?

Arantor

There's all kinds of reasons, but likely.

Sleezy

Quote from: Temptest on January 11, 2017, 05:07:54 PM
Quote from: Arantor on January 11, 2017, 05:07:00 PM
There's all kinds of reasons, but likely.

I see. Thank you.

There's an interesting mod that still functions quite well that turns the unknown action message that users see in the who's online screen into a link that displays an odd piece of what looks kind of like scripture but isn't... the name of the module I think is called Book of Unknown Action, it's unique but may confuse the novice smf user because when the page displays its not very obvious how to get back to your site...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

Said mod exposes an in-joke from inside SMF; the mod does not randomly add new 'scripture'.

Quote from: Arantor on January 11, 2017, 06:30:04 PM
Said mod exposes an in-joke from inside SMF; the mod does not randomly add new 'scripture'.

Quite so... its a static page where everyone sees the same "scripture", it doesn't change but it may make you think a little lol
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

The static page is there in unmodified SMF. There are actually two pages from the Book of Unknown if I remember correctly.

Sleezy

Arantor

Like what? Adding hidden fun messages from the guy who originally wrote SMF?

Advertisement: