News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Admin Modifications Not Modifying

Started by mark9117, January 12, 2017, 04:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9117

Rank newbie here. I appreciate your attention and your patients.

SMF 2.0.13

Mods:
   Global Announcements    1.0
   Board Notification Mod    1.2.2
   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    4.4.1

I somehow managed to get Tapatalk installed and working. As near as I could tell, the install kept failing, then yesterday Taptalk showed that it was publishing the forum.  Okay, so what about fine tuning it?

The modification page looks like this (I cribbed this from an earlier message, hence the change of avatar):

In another thread, I was pointed to this link:

Quote from: rosewillrnx on January 10, 2017, 09:59:50 AM
yourdomain.com/index.php?action=admin;area=tapatalksettings; [nofollow]

I adapted that link to my server and got a configuration page of sorts for Tapatalk.

It looks like this:

I am also running into trouble with the other two mods listed above. They seemed to install correctly, but they show no settings in the Mod Settings page. They also appear to do nothing and show up no where. This is hard for me because as new as I am to this, I really don't know what to expect of these mods.

Any help out there?  I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mark

Kindred

well, for one thing, the text strings for the mod did not get loaded....

What exactly is the problem when trying to load a mod?   is it that the files are not geting updated, even though the mod reports success?

If so, then it is a hosting problem with how they have set up the ownership of the files versus the user that php runs as
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mark9117

Quote from: Kindred on January 12, 2017, 05:51:32 PM
well, for one thing, the text strings for the mod did not get loaded....

I can believe that.

QuoteWhat exactly is the problem when trying to load a mod?   is it that the files are not geting updated, even though the mod reports success?

I really don't know. Let me elaborate a bit on what I'm actually seeing.

I check the box to execute the modification on the theme and then click the button to proceed. The screen then goes white. I reload the page and see the error that the mod has already been installed (see attached smf_mod_settings2.png).

The package remains in the Modification Packages area (see attached smf_mod_settings3.png).

You will notice that  some mods DO install, but even those packages leave nothing in the Modification Settings area (see post above).

QuoteIf so, then it is a hosting problem with how they have set up the ownership of the files versus the user that php runs as.

Well, I guess I'm in luck because I'm doing the hosting.

Permissions generally seem good, at least according to SMF. However, I may need to change some. (see attachment below)

The httpd process is running under user "apache". all the SMF files are owned by "root". A bunch of those files and directories are perm'd 777. That may not be correct, but I had to open it all up to get it to run.

Mobiquo and all files under mobiquo have perms set at 755. 

PHP is showing "apache" as it's user:

User/Group apache(978)/10002

Group 10002 is apache.

I appreciate your time on this. Any guidance is welcome.

Kindred

Yeah... and I would bet that Apache is running as the nobody user...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mark9117

I don't think so.

From /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
# It is usually good practice to create a dedicated user and group for
# running httpd, as with most system services.
#
User apache
Group apache

And I changed ownership of all the files under smf to "apache". It didn't help.

Kindred

Then I have no idea...  your system is demonstrating all of the issues that comes from a chown mismatch...   since you believe that can't be possible, then You may have some sort of bizarre configuration and have to manually apply mods
Слaва
Украинi

mark9117

Quote from: Kindred on January 13, 2017, 01:43:41 AM
Then I have no idea...  your system is demonstrating all of the issues that comes from a chown mismatch...   since you believe that can't be possible, then You may have some sort of bizarre configuration and have to manually apply mods

I'm not claiming that an ownership mismatch can't be possible, I'm just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot it. I have no idea who should own these files. Apache needs to run as apache because of other stuff I have working on that server. From the little I know, running your web server under the ownership of your web server user is not a risky move. when I changed all the smf files to apache ownership, nothing bad happened, but I still couldn't install mods.

Other things I'm looking at include: have I got the right versions of those mods? Do I have a directory in the wrong place somehow? Is there a way to ask the people who wrote the mods if they have any idea what's going on here?

I am not sure what the directory structure should be, but here's what I have:

.smf
├── attachments
├── avatars
│   ├── Actors
│   └── Musicians
├── cache
├── mobiquo
│   ├── config
│   ├── forum_icons
│   ├── include
│   ├── lib
│   ├── log
│   └── smartbanner
│       └── images
├── Packages
│   ├── backups
│   ├── db
│   ├── Sources
│   ├── temp
│   │   └── db
│   └── Themes
│       └── default
│           └── images
│               └── admin
├── Smileys
│   ├── aaron
│   ├── akyhne
│   └── default
├── Sources
└── Themes
    ├── core
    │   ├── css
    │   ├── images
    │   │   ├── admin
    │   │   ├── bbc
    │   │   ├── buttons
    │   │   ├── english
    │   │   ├── icons
    │   │   ├── post
    │   │   └── topic
    │   ├── languages
    │   └── scripts
    └── default
        ├── css
        ├── fonts
        │   ├── Candice
        │   ├── Hootie
        │   ├── President
        │   └── sound
        ├── images
        │   ├── admin
        │   ├── bbc
        │   ├── buttons
        │   ├── english
        │   ├── icons
        │   ├── post
        │   ├── theme
        │   └── topic
        ├── languages
        └── scripts

59 directories

I'm sure there's a reason for this and if it's like most things, it's something simple.

All suggestions are welcome.

Advertisement: