News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Photo upload and resize mods?

Started by landyvlad, January 22, 2017, 07:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

Does anyone know of a way - either through SMF, TinyPortal or a Mod that will allow me to resize images when people upload them?

My problem is that people tend to upload full size images which take up a lot of space, for no good reason.

My user base is pretty non IT savvy so I need to make things as simple as possible for them.

Advice / pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

lurkalot

In what way are the images uploaded?  Via attachment in a forum post, or some other way?

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

br360

If people are uploading images via attachments, you can set limitations on how big you allow the pictures to be. You can do this by going to Admin>>Forum>>Attachments and Avatars>>Attachments Settings. Then just look for Max attachment size per post and Max size per attachment

If you want to reduce the size of pictures posted from external sites (like photbucket), you can decrease those type of images by going to Admin>>Features and Options>>Layout. Then look for Max width of posted pictures and Max height of posted pictures and choose the maximum sizes. (this will change the size of any new picture that gets posted though- it will not resize any pic posted before the settings change)

landyvlad

Yep ta.

I was wanting specifically to allow someone to select a large image from their computer (assuming they don't know how to or can't be bothered resizing, and as it uploads it resizes / coverts it to say a max 1024  (eg so 1024x768) image and it is saved on my webspace / gallery as an image of that size.  Thus saving space, and reducing page load times.

(I've found people usually have their mobile phone cameras set at max resolution which gives ridiculously large images, at least for web use.)

landyvlad

Rob Lightbody

Advertisement: