News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

conversion process ...

Started by RFD, January 26, 2017, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFD

i'd assume that converting from an offline copy of a frozen live data base is the preferred way to convert.

however, in a test scenario, can a live online and active data base be subjected to an SMF conversion?

vbgamer45

You should put in read only/maintenance mode the forum data being converted just in case.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

RFD

gotcha - good advice, thanx.  8)

RFD

i installed an SMF 2.13 forum on my server. 

both the SMF and PHPBB forums are in different sub-directories, different MYSQL databases.

when i run the SMF convert.php, with the correct location sub-directories each forum, then enter the SMF database password, the convert immediately errors out ...

???????

RFD

re: "Problem: SELECT command denied to user
Info: The cause of this error is that SMF and Software X are in separate databases and the SMF database user does not have access to Software X's database.
Fix: If your host has cPanel you can add the SMF database user to Software X's database.  If your host does not have cPanel you can contact them with regards on how to accomplish this. As well as a last resort, what you can do is reinstall SMF in the same database as Software X."

i do have a domain control panel and i have two MYSQL databases, PHPBB and SMF.  i see no control panel provision to meld the two databases, and even so, when the conversion to SMF is successful, how would i delete the PHPBB database?

why doesn't the convert software just ask for the pwds to each database?   

Illori

even if it has the password for both databases that does not mean it would have access to write to them correctly. if you dont know how to grant the access to both databases under the same username as your host if they can help you with that.

RFD

figured it out, just needed to add the same db user/password to both databases.

conversion process started and then hung up here ...

... forum partially migrated, missing posts past 2013.

RFD

finally found maragrett's conversion code and ran it - worked Perfectly8) ;D ;)

Illori

Quote from: RFD on February 06, 2017, 09:50:42 AM
finally found maragrett's conversion code and ran it - worked Perfectly8) ;D ;)

might help others if you attach it to your next reply so they can use it as well.

RFD

bruno's tweaked PHPBB3 conversion code to SMF2 ...

Advertisement: