Can't Block a spammer?

Started by KEA, January 27, 2017, 10:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEA

Only after multiple bans of user name and IP, deleting of the account, (They came right back), adding tougher questions appears to have solved the problem. 

Thanks for all the input! 

Illori

dont delete the account after banning it, this will always delete the ban.

Dav999

Only username triggers, not IP/email/hostname ones.

Kindred

actually...  if you set all triggers in the same "bundle", then deleting the user will (I believe) invalidate the entire ban bundle.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

Just tested it, even with a ban group with only a username trigger, deleting the user's account will just leave the ban group there with no triggers.

shawnb61

When I started helping out on our forum, we had installed:
  -  the Join Reason mod
  -  the Stop Spammer mod
  -  the httpBl mod

I have kept it that way, since we have had ZERO spam in the last few years.  (~20K user forum)

We have, however, had a few instances where people were erroneously detected as spammers.  The issue with these honeypot approaches is that the IP address is an imperfect way to do this.  We deal with those exceptions manually.  This only happens about once every year or two.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: