News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Likes Plus disappeared

Started by faliro, January 31, 2017, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faliro

Screwed up the forum a little, need some advice.

Can anyone help. After installing another mod (my 15th) - i lost use of the Likes Plus mod. It just disappeared from the forum.

So I went to uninstall the Like Plus mod and got this:

It basically says if I uninstall the mod - I could cause damage?

When I clicked on the failed file, I got this pop up:

Can someone tell me what is the best way to proceed? Should I delete/uninstall all the mods i installed today - and then deleted it this Likes Plus? Does it make a difference? What should I do? I am a new user and unsure how to proceed.

Cheers in advance.  :P

Sir Osis of Liver

You can revert the forum back to where it was prior to last mod install.  Package manager saves a backup in /Packages/backups before each mod install.  Download, unzip, upload. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

faliro

Will it harm my forum simply to delete the Like Plus mod? I get the massive warning above when I attempt to uninstall.

Illori

you need to remove the code left over, you cant just delete any mod when it fails to uninstall cleanly.

faliro

Quote from: Illori on January 31, 2017, 06:06:52 PM
you need to remove the code left over, you cant just delete any mod when it fails to uninstall cleanly.

Sorry I meant uninstall not delete. I assume if I just uninstall anyway it will remove all trace of the mod and thus solve the problem?

I read the link provided above - but that seemed to apply more to installing than uninstalling.

Illori

you still need to follow those steps in reverse to remove the code that is failing. if you dont you risk crashing your forum. you can NOT just uninstall and expect it to work correctly if it is telling you something is failing.

faliro

Final question (thanks for the all the help so far).

Is replacing the code with the forum's suggested code a good way to solve the issue - or could that corrupt something else?

Cheers

Kindred

you can't just "replace"

As the FAQ link tells you --  you have to manually parse the line.
If the issue is just that the white-space at the start of the lin doesn't match - then all is good, go ahead with the replace.

However, if the actual written code does not match the "before" bit (which is probably the case)
then you have to manually parse the code change and make the corrections by hand
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

faliro

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2017, 09:26:42 AM
you can't just "replace"

As the FAQ link tells you --  you have to manually parse the line.
If the issue is just that the white-space at the start of the lin doesn't match - then all is good, go ahead with the replace.

However, if the actual written code does not match the "before" bit (which is probably the case)
then you have to manually parse the code change and make the corrections by hand

I am completely new to this so I am researching the word parse from the link - the link which I have now read twice.

The fault as listed is this:

So it seems the replace is exactly the same at the 'find' minus the extra line of code below.

Sorry if this sounds completely stupid. I go to the index css or somewhere similar and add this line of code?  ???

d3vcho

No problem at all, we will help you.

First of all, a simple line can alter a lot, so it doesn't matter, you should change it as well. Just navigate to the file where that line is placed (it should display the file where it's located right next to the button you clicked), search for it and replace it.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

faliro

Quote from: d3vcho on February 01, 2017, 10:32:25 AM
No problem at all, we will help you.

First of all, a simple line can alter a lot, so it doesn't matter, you should change it as well. Just navigate to the file where that line is placed (it should display the file where it's located right next to the button you clicked), search for it and replace it.

Thank you very much for this.

So it seems therefore I will simply be deleting a line of code in this case, correct?  O:) Because I can see absolutely no difference in the first line.

d3vcho

faliro

Thanks a lot.

Found it and deleted it. There was some lines of script in between.. So I left them in place. Will wait for the forum to refresh to see if it worked.

d3vcho

I would suggest using a text editor (Atom, Notepad++, Sublime..) instead of your host's tool. It's better, but should work anyway.

Kindred

yes, that is correct. you did the correct action.

In this case, the auto-editor failed because another mod had inserted those lines of code in between. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

faliro

Quote from: d3vcho on February 01, 2017, 11:15:40 AM
I would suggest using a text editor (Atom, Notepad++, Sublime..) instead of your host's tool. It's better, but should work anyway.

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2017, 11:34:12 AM
yes, that is correct. you did the correct action.

In this case, the auto-editor failed because another mod had inserted those lines of code in between. :)

The forum still reads exactly the same fault. Should I delete the code that is in between the code it told to me to delete and the code I was supposed to keep show here??

Illori

if a mod uses that code that is still installed, then no dont. just add the code in the correct location if you are reinstalling the mod. also be aware of where you are posting SMF likes plus is not the same as the mods support topic you were posting in.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 31, 2017, 04:41:01 PM
You can revert the forum back to where it was prior to last mod install.  Package manager saves a backup in /Packages/backups before each mod install.  Download, unzip, upload. 

Remove the last mod as above, then you should be able to uninstall the Like Plus mod cleanly.  If you still want to use it, install it as the last mod, it will be easier to fix that way.  Right now you are tinkering with code that's been changed by two mods.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

faliro

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 01, 2017, 08:50:24 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 31, 2017, 04:41:01 PM

Remove the last mod as above, then you should be able to uninstall the Like Plus mod cleanly.  If you still want to use it, install it as the last mod, it will be easier to fix that way.  Right now you are tinkering with code that's been changed by two mods.

Yip. I have given it a day and I still have exactly the same error. So I am going to do your method today. I think I installed around 5 mods after this Likes Plus one and have no idea which one caused the conflict.

Just to be 100% clear - uninstalling Likes Plus with the error is dangerous? I will not be using this particular mod again I think.

Cheers again.  :)

Advertisement: