News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Likes Plus disappeared

Started by faliro, January 31, 2017, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Install this which is a great mod for knowing which mods you installed when: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2323
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

faliro
- installing, or uninstalling ANY mod that shows errors is "dangerous"
However, it is not the fault of the mod. All mods which are approved on the SMF mod site have been tested to install and uninstall cleanly -- ON A CLEAN SMF INSTALLATION.

by installing *ANY* mods, you potentially add conflicts with installing or uninstalling OTHER mods.

The trick is to learn how to read the code changes and learn to parse them (as you did)
In your case, if you ran the uninstall - and then made the code change manually (or vice-versa) the mod would be properly uninstalled.
While what Sir Osis stated is true, it is not actually necessary... if you are willing to make one or two manual code changes.

I had a test site in which I installed nearly 200 mods. a few of them did require a manual update or two - but most of them were pretty clean (I never installed a mod that errorred in more than 4 spots and was still able to get almost 200 installed)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

faliro

Quote from: Kindred on February 02, 2017, 10:00:43 AM
faliro
- installing, or uninstalling ANY mod that shows errors is "dangerous"
However, it is not the fault of the mod. All mods which are approved on the SMF mod site have been tested to install and uninstall cleanly -- ON A CLEAN SMF INSTALLATION.

by installing *ANY* mods, you potentially add conflicts with installing or uninstalling OTHER mods.

The trick is to learn how to read the code changes and learn to parse them (as you did)
In your case, if you ran the uninstall - and then made the code change manually (or vice-versa) the mod would be properly uninstalled.
While what Sir Osis stated is true, it is not actually necessary... if you are willing to make one or two manual code changes.

I had a test site in which I installed nearly 200 mods. a few of them did require a manual update or two - but most of them were pretty clean (I never installed a mod that errorred in more than 4 spots and was still able to get almost 200 installed)

Thank you for this explanation.

If I now uninstall this mod - even though it still shows the error - is it now safe to do so seeing as I removed the offending piece of script?

On a separate note, when you uninstall a mod, are all the pieces of script associated with it removed from the CSS index and other indexes etc?

Kindred

yes. you removes the bit it is looking for, so it is going to show an error...  and yes, it will complete the uninstall if you now continue (because you have manually dealt with the error)

uninstalling mods should remove all changes that the mod made in the original installation. Yes.
It typically does NOT remove database changes and data.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

faliro

Quote from: Kindred on February 08, 2017, 08:58:29 AM
yes. you removes the bit it is looking for, so it is going to show an error...  and yes, it will complete the uninstall if you now continue (because you have manually dealt with the error)

uninstalling mods should remove all changes that the mod made in the original installation. Yes.
It typically does NOT remove database changes and data.

Thank you very much.

Do I click on the option Remove all data associated with this modification:

Steve

Totally up to you. If you want the data removed that Kindred mentioned, then yes.
DO NOT pm me for support!

faliro

Quote from: Steve on February 08, 2017, 09:56:15 AM
Totally up to you. If you want the data removed that Kindred mentioned, then yes.

The only reason I am asking is if there is any danger in removing all data associated with this mod.

Illori

if you dont want to use the mod again you can remove the data, if you are going to try to reinstall it at a later date then leave the data behind.

Advertisement: