News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF is searching for translators!

Started by Dzonny, February 08, 2017, 06:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dzonny

Thanks to a very active community, Simple Machines Forum is currently available in over 45 languages. Even though we're proud of that fact, we continue to search for ways to improve the quality of our international support and to make new languages available, so that more people can benefit from the SMF software.

In order to provide higher quality language files, we've created an online tool allowing multiple users to work on the same language at the same time. This will make life a lot easier for translators and speeds up the time it takes for a translation to be released as a language package.

The tool allows us to take a different approach when it comes to translating the software. We used to require that translators would spent a lot of time translating the full language package. Now that the tool is in use, we can invite anyone who's interested in helping out, so that more people can make the job of translating a language lighter.

So, we're looking for new (and current) translators. A requirement to join the team of translators would be to have good skills in both English and the language you're translating to and that you can spend a significant amount of time on translating.

If you're interested in helping out with one of the languages currently available or a language not yet available, please see SMF moves to a new translation platform: switching to Crowdin

Note: In order to apply to become a translator, it is necessary to have a minimum of one post on the forum.

UPDATE: We moved to a new software for translation. Please check out this thread for more information and joining the translation team:
SMF moves to a new translation platform: switching to Crowdin

TheBrothersArm

already sended, Dzonny  :D  :)

Best regards

contentwrite

actually, i would like to work with you as a translator. i can read, speak and write upto 15 languages. now im working as a content writing services company in india and also in notice period. what are the other formalities and rules to join with you?

Kindred

Read the first post...  follow the instructions...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hristo

I always wondered why not make that translation tool open to anyone who has say 5 or 10 posts?! I guess you are afraid that it could be abused?

Statcounter has a site translation tool that is open for the members. That way anyone in the mood can translate a line or more. Then a moderator only has to approve or reject that translation. That is how it works past 3 or 4 years. Much more simpler than what we have here - no applications, no strings attached ("that you can spend a significant amount of time on translating").

Now, despite that their system is much more open, still the translations are going very slowly. I only can imagine what is the situation here.

Dzonny

Quote from: Hristo on May 05, 2017, 05:39:00 PM
I always wondered why not make that translation tool open to anyone who has say 5 or 10 posts?! I guess you are afraid that it could be abused?

Statcounter has a site translation tool that is open for the members. That way anyone in the mood can translate a line or more. Then a moderator only has to approve or reject that translation. That is how it works past 3 or 4 years. Much more simpler than what we have here - no applications, no strings attached ("that you can spend a significant amount of time on translating").

Now, despite that their system is much more open, still the translations are going very slowly. I only can imagine what is the situation here.
That would mean that we have at least one "moderator" per language to approve or reject translation, who is fluent with English and target language.
We care for quality, not quantity, and that's why we tend to let just proficient and really motivated members into our translation team :)

Hristo

An open system will attract more attention. More members will get involved in translation. Some of them, usually the most active ones, will attract your attention. You can invite them to join the team as mods if language X needs such. The motivated ones will accept the rest will prefer simply to translate now and then a few lines. That is exactly how statcounter acts. I fail to see how that will lower the quality.

Linkjay

Quote from: Hristo on May 05, 2017, 10:32:30 PM
An open system will attract more attention. More members will get involved in translation. Some of them, usually the most active ones, will attract your attention. You can invite them to join the team as mods if language X needs such. The motivated ones will accept the rest will prefer simply to translate now and then a few lines. That is exactly how statcounter acts. I fail to see how that will lower the quality.

Going off of what Dzonny said, it's people with malicious intent or just don't know what they're doing. It can't be an open system because someone could come in and give completely wrong translations accidentally or maybe they intended to. How would an "open" system work anyways? It can't be completely open, there will always have to be someone on the team approving what comes through. It's like giving administrator rights to someone. You have to trust them. You wouldn't just give anybody admin, right?
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

Kindred

Doing it the way you suggest would actually increase the workload of the translation team, because, instead of vetting the translators ahead of time and confirming that they have the necessary skill with language to properly translate strings - we would get people putting half-done or poorly done translations in place (or even worse, using Google translate) and every translation would have to be reviewed and either approved or undone...

instead, as Dzonny mentioned. We prefer quality in the original translation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hristo

Could you please post a list how many active team members there are for each language? That is: Language X - Y active members. Maybe I was wrong and there is no need for a change.

Note: Just to clarify I'm talking for the software translation which IMO is more important than the wiki one.

Kindred

https://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/team.php

other than that... no.

We have taken your suggestion under consideration and decided against it. That's really all there is to it, at this time - and any othe rinsistance on your part on how you THINK there is a better way to do it should either be dropped or you can take it up, privately with the current Project Manager.
Слaва
Украинi

SaidJan

I have filled out the app 2-3 days ago. Haven't heard any news.
I was translating some strings in the language folder of the theme for myself. So I though I could help with translating the forum.

Irisado

It usually takes longer to reply than the time frame that you have mentioned.  You will receive a response in due course.  Please be patient :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vjulian

It would be a nice idea if some one can help out in adding Indian(hindi) language. I am sure there are lot of users from that part of the world.

Dzonny

Quote from: vjulian on July 04, 2017, 03:59:19 AM
It would be a nice idea if some one can help out in adding Indian(hindi) language. I am sure there are lot of users from that part of the world.
We currently don't have an active Hindi translators sadly. If you're interested feel free to send us your application, as described in first post here. :)

dweiruk

I would love to work with SMF doing translation for EN-GB

Arantor

English British should be mostly complete at this time.

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

tutorialinfinity

SMF is searching for translators!

I"m very lucky because I would like to work with SMF doing a translation for EN-GB.
british English is not much complicated when we are learning. Only little differences compare to US English.

Thank you for giving this chance to answer to this Q.

Thanks & Regards

tutorial Infinity

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: