News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem with photo attach from mobiles

Started by landyvlad, February 08, 2017, 07:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

I've had several users report intermittent problems with posting attachments from their mobiles.

Some have done a few photos no problems then experienced the problem.
One bloke can't post pics at all.

I've attached:
- a copy of the error message
- a copy of the mods I have installed.

I'd really appreciate if someone can help me resolve this.

Thank You
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

br360

Can you check your attachment settings. Go to Admin>>Forum>>Attachments and Avatars >> Attachment Settings

See if Perform extensive security checks on uploaded image attachments is checked and if so, uncheck it

landyvlad

I can confirm that is NOT checked, and has not been so I assume the problem doesn't lie there.

I note that allowed attachements fprmats are:
Quotedoc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip

Does anyone know what file format phone cameras use? And particularly I-phones as I THINK its mostly or all apple users who have reported this problem.

But again it's confusing that at least one user has managed to attach some photos, but not other photos - presumably all taken on the same device....
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

I have it set up to resize photos on upload so should be OK? (but isn't)

What info would you need (screenshots) to see whether my settings for that are correct please?

Kindred

Actually, if the images are too large (filesize) then the system might crap out (run out of memory) while tyring to resize them
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

law? large?

Is there a way I can check if this is happening?

Illori

landyvlad

Thanks Illori.  I note the info on that mod states:
QuoteThis should prevent issues with 500 internal server errors due to memory exhaustion.

That's not the error my users are getting though.  (The one I attached earlier). The actual error makes it sound more like something a mod/admin çan fix.  Or at least it gives users that impression.

Illori

well that is what was mentioned above, either way it does not hurt to install it.

landyvlad

OK, have installed, will see how it goes. Thank you.

shawnb61

Just as an aside...

I recently started getting this error, but not on mobile.  On several new .jpgs I took & edited myself.  I have a theory that the new lightroom/photoshop may be putting content there that fails the security edits in subs-graphics.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

Very weird.  I wonder what the solution is ?

landyvlad

OK so one of my admins has experienced the problem personally now.

This is what he tells me
QuoteTwo photos attached and a copy of the error message I get

First photo of the bikes just by themselves loads ok (ending Rideout Bikes)

Second photo (ending rideout Group 72) won't load and I get the error message "Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded"

Don't know why - both taken with a camera, both re-sized (picture one is 354Kb on my machine, Picture 2 (that won't load) is 336Kb. Both are .jpg files. Both on my PC and won't load from there.

I've also attached a copy of the error message

Can't see what is wrong with photo 2, I've recreated it, re-sized it everything, exactly the same as photo 1 - and nada.

I am getting an increasing number of complaints from users so any advice re potential solutions would be MOST welcome.

landyvlad

It seems the problem is not confined to mobiles.

A forum member was having troubles uploading and I got him to resize the images.  The new versions which DID upload are attached.

I'm not sure why some are working and some not.

The main problem is that so many forum users are not tech savvy and asking them to resize pictures etc before uploading can be problematic and generates complaints.  "The old forum (predecessor to mine, run by someone else with Community forum software) never had this problem"....

Frankly this is one of two biggest issues (both relating to image posting) plaguing me at the moment and getting is resolved would make me a very happy man.

nend

Can you verify that the problem still exist if you select the "Re-encode potentially dangerous image attachments".

I believe what you're getting here may be a false positive. It can happen from time to time, however if you re-encode the image this should cancel out the problem. This is because it gives the script a last resort, so if it thinks there is something bad in the file it will trie to re-encode it to disrupt the offending string.

landyvlad

Thanks nend - just before I do - what does re-encoding them actually do please?
Does it change the file format / resolution / file size etc?

Just trying to understand what something does before implementing it. Sorry if it's a stupid question....

nend

It's the equivalent of opening a image in a editor and saving it again. The image should be basically the same but the contents of the file will change depending on how the application likes saving its data. In this case the application is the GD library.

landyvlad

Thanks mate - I've applied that setting. Will see how it goes. 

Advertisement: