News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

BB code open/close bug

Started by Black Tiger, February 09, 2017, 09:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

Quote from: Black Tiger on February 09, 2017, 07:48:18 PM
I doubt that a very lot. I have ask things different in the past. I always have the feeling I have to walk on my toes to ask questions here to prevent somebody feeling bad.

All I'm saying is that it's something to think about for the future in terms of how to frame an issue which you believe is a bug, but which is open to doubt :).

QuoteWhat did you expect after your answer? Do you really think you get nicer reply's when starting an answer before asking obsolete questions where you already know the answer to and which don't matter since I already got the most important forums tried?
And clearly only on SMF (of the most known then) seem to have the opinion it must and shall be done in the correct order.

It was a fair and valid question.  If factually incorrect information is posted by someone, I will spot it and I will query it.  That's a perfectly reasonable position to adopt.  You're seeming to suggest that somehow it was a personal attack.  I'm sorry if you feel that way, but I assure you that it's not personal at all.  Had you said, something along the lines of 'several of SMF's main competitors do it differently', that would have been okay, but that is not what you wrote.

A bit childish response and partly untrue. I named the most important and most used ones, and even added another most used. It's quite logical you can't check all and every one there is out there. It's quite normal to use that term if all the most known things are checked.
Which exactly proves my point that you have to walk on your tose to ask something here, if you're going to attack people if they use "all" (by mentioning all the most used and known) instead of "most".
I rather believe that you were already stepped on the toes because I mentioned the check of all these other forums I did, instead of looking at that the positive way. Like asking yourself "indeed" why should they to this then because it takes a lot of coding?

My response was just a statement of fact, not an emotive response in any way :).

You may not realise it, but I'm actually doing my best to help you to frame questions differently in the future, in order to help you to receive answers that may be more along the lines of what you're looking for, in the sense that while they may still not be in agreement with you, the explanation may help to facilitate mutual understanding, rather than having to go back and forth to clarify issues as we have had to do this time around.

I hope that this is of some help to you :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Black Tiger

QuoteAll I'm saying is that it's something to think about for the future in terms of how to frame an issue which you believe is a bug, but which is open to doubt :).
That's acceptable. :)

I'm glad you took the time to explain, because indeed I experienced it as.... well... not really a personal attack but as an unnecessary attack.
Your respons was a statement of a fact, but which kind? Like I said the way I used it was quite a normal term after the investigation I did. So I couldn't do anything with it and it was no answer to the question.

If you say it's to do your best to help frame questions differently in the future, it proves my point that people have to walk on their toes in many occasions (not always as I stated, that was a not true) to ask some questions. Even if it's to prevent being corrected instead of the question getting answered.
I too have a support forum, we answer the question and if necessary after that (can be in the same post) advise on what a better way ways to ask it. Mostly means giving more information about what's asked or what's already tried. But normally we just help the users without correcting them, because often correcting is not accepted very well by users. Depends too on how the correction is done and framed.

In my believe on a forum, especially a global support forum, people (from over the world, often not English native) should rather feel more free to ask questions without having to consider every sentence on how they going to build up or frame that sentence to prevent correction. Which is often not only difficult but also time consuming.

That's still how I feel and experience it, sorry. So it does explains that you did not response emotive, but it's not of help to me.
Having to overthink a lot how to frame something and writing that way takes way the lust and the fun for even writing on the forum and also takes removes the feeling to help others, but rather stay away if possible.

No hard feelings towards you on my behalf.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: