News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

IVv6

Started by sky23, February 09, 2017, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sky23

How to see the real IP of these strange "guests?"

sky23

Yes, it shows the ipv6 adress then..if you click on the member name..
but...bann ip's is not working after you install this...so..not useful
should be most important for the developers that the admin see's
who is visiting him..right?

Illori

then post in the mods support topic explaining the issues.

Linkjay

You could consider disabling IPv6 support on your machine until SMF officially supports it. I did that on mine and everything works fine and now I can see everyone's IPs properly.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

sky23

then you are lucky, it's disabled, but with what results? showing only...nothing, empty spaces by me, if someone uses ipv6 protocol

Illori

then you need to install the mod linked above.

Kindred

besides banning by IP is mostly useless anyway
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sky23

useless? i don't think so, banning by whole ip range: xxx.xxx.xxx-255.*  is useless?
why so, Kindred?

Arantor

Because the odds of you stopping the spammers are much slimmer than you think. And if the goal is to prevent miscreants from coming back, it's easy to get a new IP address, often as simple as resetting the router. Or getting any one of the many, many proxies out there.

And this problem will be much worse with IPv6, where it is possible to burn through new IP addresses at a ferocious rate.

sky23

spiders? bots? and other unwelcomes? i dont understand you here..sorry

Arantor

You think you can ban spammers, spiders and bots faster than they can get new IP addresses? Interesting, but sadly wrong.

Kindred

normal spiders.. maybe.... but you don't want to ban normal spiders.
non-normal spiders and other "unwelcomes"?
They'll have a new IP address in 10 seconds after they see that their IP is blocked.... if it's a bot, it might take a full minute to retest from a different IP/proxy.

seriously... banning by IP address is useless
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sky23

Disagree absolutely!
I banned whole Ip Ranges, want to see my log? Maybe you are surprised..
And nobody wants to ban "normal" spiders? Baidoo, Yantex and friends are normal? sorry...i dont think so!
Privacy should be the goal, not the developers "opinions" about that...
The choice for the Admin as he wish..thats my opinion!
I ban all kind of Spiders, successful, you bet!
And let me tell you, there are really nasty ones out there, like these nice guys, i would recommend each of you,
to ban these gangsters under all circumstances: http://www.guyellisrocks.com/2012/01/kintiskton-llc-ip-ranges.html

Arantor

Depends on your audience. For sites with an audience in China, Baidu is a thing. For Russia, Yandex is a thing.

Privacy is not necessarily the end goal, depends on your site, and to a point, sharing knowledge is the opposite of privacy...

Kindred

And...   using the SMF ban system to handle the bans of those ranges is also the wrong way to go about it.

If you really feel that you must ban an IP range, then use the DENY option in .htaccess - don't use the SMF ban system
Слaва
Украинi

sky23

Quote from: Arantor on March 11, 2017, 09:08:24 AM
Depends on your audience. For sites with an audience in China, Baidu is a thing. For Russia, Yandex is a thing.

Privacy is not necessarily the end goal, depends on your site, and to a point, sharing knowledge is the opposite of privacy...

We could talk endless, for what and why someone uses a forum. Somebody doesn't want to have uninvited "guests" even to see
a logo..others have a open and public forum.
It's about the choices, the admin has, with a forum.
Any yes! Me and many others do have this 'feel' to block whole ip-ranges, cause they simply want to be none-public!
Others not, so no problem.
And to mess around with htaccess? naaa..better not, have enough from crash's slowly

Arantor

And that was the objection with your argument, you were telling us that we should follow how you do it...

sky23

haha, Arantor, i guess you are the Legend, i am the newbie only, maybe you tell us, user and newbie friendly, how to do a none-public one, right?
no offense meant, i know the opinion's slowly from the developers here, about such things, haha, no offense meant

Kindred

Why not use .htaccess?   It's much more efficient than SMF's ban system, when it comes to banning by ip... and uses fewer resources.

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: