News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

IVv6

Started by sky23, February 09, 2017, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

If you had topics hidden from certain groups and guests can the spammers spiders or bots be able to get access to this even though they wouldn't be selected to view this content?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Caracal

Quote from: Kindred on March 11, 2017, 05:10:01 PM
Ummmm... what?
If you had a board with topics in it for example on my forum i have a board called Admin & Mods with topics only admin and mods can see and i'm 100 percent sure you have loads on this forum here as well you have certain groups and so on. What my point is can spammers spiders or bots who get on your forum and spam it gain access to these type of sections.

Illori

if the permissions are set correctly on who can access those boards, spammers and bots cannot ever access those sections.

Caracal

Quote from: Illori on March 12, 2017, 01:10:04 PM
if the permissions are set correctly on who can access those boards, spammers and bots cannot ever access those sections.
Ok thanks. Illori  :) Yes i have them set correctly as i created another account and done all the different groups like Newbie, Jr Member and so on.

sky23

Quote from: Caracal on March 12, 2017, 12:53:52 PM
Quote from: Kindred on March 11, 2017, 05:10:01 PM
Ummmm... what?
If you had a board with topics in it for example on my forum i have a board called Admin & Mods with topics only admin and mods can see and i'm 100 percent sure you have loads on this forum here as well you have certain groups and so on. What my point is can spammers spiders or bots who get on your forum and spam it gain access to these type of sections.

Yes, they can! If they go agressive to work,..and they will..
like  like this pig company: http://www.guyellisrocks.com/2012/01/kintiskton-llc-ip-ranges.html
They offer companies informations about Copyright infringement's, their spiders crawl the web 24/7 in a way, google is a little Kid against them..and there are many others like this "company"! A double layer Security would give a little bit more security, but also this is not 100% after.
Still No-Way to see IP's from these 0.0.0.0 "guests"...

Kindred

NO THEY CAN NOT!! !! !!

please stop spreading FUD based on your misunderstanding of how they systems work.

If you have a section which is only visible to admins and moderators, based on group permissions, then guests and regular users CAN NOT SEE IT.
This inlcudes all search engines and bots, even if the bot registers as a user....

your information in the protected sections is SAFE from being scanned, as long as you have your permissions set correctly.

as for "double layer security" -- you really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
(however, 2.1 does add 2FA; although I find 2FA to be obnoxious in most cases.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: