From 1.1.4 to 2.0.13 and a new server: Any ideas?

Started by BlondeUnderdog, February 15, 2017, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlondeUnderdog

Hello

I was chosen (or I volunteered) to take care of a very old SMF forum, which received no maintanance since it's initial setup some 7 or 8 years ago.
The forum runs on a linux box, it is a virtual server with ubuntu. Some facts about this installation, which I will call the
productive / live environment:

- Apache 2.2.22
- PHP 5.3.10
- mysql-server-5.5 5.5.32
- phpMyAdmin 3.4.10.1deb1
- SMF 1.1.4[/li][/list]

I have SSH & SFTP access to the server and all the usernames & passwords (root, database, forum-admin) that I need.

I know, I am as shocked as you are about such an outdated installation, but that's what happens when no one takes care of the technical stuff.
The person who did the initial installation is no longer available, and the owner of the forum and the linux server has no clou about computer stuff.

That's where I come in, and these ppl behind the forum asked me to help out. Well, I am working in the IT industry with experiance in server, hosting, network,
Java Webapplications, Tomcat, Apache and this stuff, but unfortunately with no experiance in Linux, PHP, MySQL, and SMF.

Now I have three goals:

- set up a test environment at home on a spare DELL Notebook with the same software versions like the productive environment (almost accomplished)
- migrate the complete productive environment to a new server and hosting provider, of cause with the latest software versions
- upgrade the SMF software to the latest version, I think it is 2.0.13.

Since I have no experience with Linux and PHP, I am very shy to just update the patches of SMF on the productive environment. I am afraid to damage
the well running forum.
Therefore, I need a test environment to get used with all this stuff before I put my hand on the productive system.

What I understand from the FAQ here is that I probably need to apply every single patch: 1.1.5, 1.1.6... 1.1.21 and then upgrade to 2.0, 2.0.1, up
to 2.0.13.

Is there a quicker route to take?

Since I need to set up a fresh, new server anyway, would it be possible to start a new server installation, then install SMF 2.0.13, and then
copy all the old forum data on to the new server?

Thanks for your help and patiance!

Regards, Klaus

Illori

you dont need to upgrade each version, just use the large upgrade package to go to 2.0.13.

vbgamer45

Just note make sure you stay on PHP 5.6 version till SMF 2.0.14 patch which will support PHP7
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

actually, we've encountered some people who have issues with that big jump...

recommended...

1- remove your custom themes.
2- do the "large upgrade" directly to 1.1.21 from 1.1.4 (do not bother with the one by one patches)
3- **THEN** do the upgrade to 2.0.13

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

I would clone the forum in a new directory on same server.  Copy all files from existing 1.1.4 install, import production database into a new db, edit Settings.php and Settings_bak.php with new db credentials, run repair_settings.php.  When it's up and running, do on the clone what Kindred suggested, large upgrade to 1.1.21, then large upgrade to 2.0.13.  If all goes well, you can rename the directories to flip the clone into production directory, run repair_settings.php in new location.  If all is good, you can move the upgraded forum and db to new server.  You'll still have the original 1.1.4 production forum and db if things get sideways.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

I happen to disagree with that suggested process. I think it is overly complicated and unnecessary since it is much simpler to just have a good backup of files and database and restore that instead of trying to do a clone and having to redo all paths and URLs and just gets confusing to most users
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's simpler than what OP is proposing, running a local test install, and it doesn't touch the working production forum if done correctly.  If you're comfortable with the upgrade process it's overkill, but if you're not it's a safe way to try it without risk.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

BlondeUnderdog

Thanks a lot for all your replys and support.

I was able now to upgrade my test environment to SMF 1.1.21 with almost no hasle, and will upgrade the productive forum in a week or so.

I will keep you posted about my progress and upcoming difficulties...  :-[

RafaelPidayNE

1. ScreenResMode, SetPageNumber, CheckForHeader, CheckForFooter, AssignHeaderTo and AssignFooterTo no longer exist. What are the alternatives?

Kindred

Are you the same user? or working on the same site?

If not, then please start your own thread.
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

And you'll need to do it in the support section.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: