News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unread posts at the right of the boards not appearing & mod installation error

Started by Robin28, February 17, 2017, 05:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin28

Hi, I've recently transferred my host and recovered my forums but I started facing problems after the recovery, I tried repair_settings.php but it doesn't open when I open it using mydomain/repair_settings.php and it shows, "You have not deleted repair_settings.php" warning as well.

Okay the first problem I'm facing is that the unread posts and topics at the right side of boards are not showing up.

(see the highlighted area)

The second problem is, I am trying to install a mod called SimplePortal but it shows me this error.

NOTE: I have already chmod'ed temp folder to 777 and created the temp folder. It was fixed before, all the mods were getting installed except SimplePortal, it was showing me Modification Parse Error.
I installed two to three mods, but again the "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!" problem appears again and again.

RECENT ERROR LOG

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Matt
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 188.226.226.40   
Reverse chronological order of list Today at 10:49:17 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 11a32f189b12bc0005700af08cadb173
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://forum.upgmta.ga/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimplePortal_2.3.6.zipApply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean givenApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2551
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 11a32f189b12bc0005700af08cadb173
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://forum.upgmta.ga/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimplePortal_2.3.6.zipApply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: fopen(/home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/SSI.php): failed to open stream: Permission deniedApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2544
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://forum.upgmta.ga/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimplePortal_2.3.6.zipApply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean givenApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2551
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://forum.upgmta.ga/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimplePortal_2.3.6.zipApply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: fopen(/home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission deniedApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/vhosts/forum.upgmta.ga/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2544

Kindred

When you transferred hosts, did you run repair_settings.php to change all of your urls and paths?

If not, that is your biggest issue right there...  the system is still trying to connect to your old host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Robin28

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2017, 09:32:09 AM
When you transferred hosts, did you run repair_settings.php to change all of your urls and paths?

If not, that is your biggest issue right there...  the system is still trying to connect to your old host.

Actually, I tried using repair_settings.php but the link hxxp:forum.upgmta.ga/repair_settings.php [nonactive] didn't open, it was taking too long to load though and I was getting a warning about repair_settings.php not being deleted so I avoided using it.

Illori

Robin28

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2017, 11:00:05 AM
you can use it but then delete it from the server when you are done.

What is repair_settings.php?

Checked, all the files are in the new server directory but the problem is still not fixed.

The problem could be, that I was previously using SimplePortal's home page as my default page "http://myforum/index.php" and now the home page is the page where it shows the boards. (not sure if this is the problem, I just guessed as it could be possible, if so, please help me figuring out a solution)

EDIT: And it seems like the dates when the topics were posted are also messed up, it shows past date, for example a topic was posted on 14 feb, it shows that the topic was posted on 8 feb.

Kindred

ok... please do the things that we ask, first...

When you move servers, you ***MUST*** adjust all of your paths (and possibly URLs)
If you do not so this, then nothing will ever work right.

If you also moved your database (which is likely), then you are going to have to ALSO change the setting for the database connection information to match your new server.

This has nothing to do with mods or anything else...   the system MUST be told what the CORRECT paths, URLs and database information are for the new server.

If you can not get repair_settings.php to work, then you will have to do it by hand, editing Settings.php first to corretc the path, URL and database info
(then try running repair_settings.php again)
If it still doesn't work, then you are going to have to manually change all other paths, like themes, attachments, avatars, smileys, and possibly mods - in the SMF admin settings
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Robin28

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2017, 12:25:25 PM
ok... please do the things that we ask, first...

When you move servers, you ***MUST*** adjust all of your paths (and possibly URLs)
If you do not so this, then nothing will ever work right.

If you also moved your database (which is likely), then you are going to have to ALSO change the setting for the database connection information to match your new server.

This has nothing to do with mods or anything else...   the system MUST be told what the CORRECT paths, URLs and database information are for the new server.

If you can not get repair_settings.php to work, then you will have to do it by hand, editing Settings.php first to corretc the path, URL and database info
(then try running repair_settings.php again)
If it still doesn't work, then you are going to have to manually change all other paths, like themes, attachments, avatars, smileys, and possibly mods - in the SMF admin settings

I already stated that I opened repair_settings.php and the paths and the URLs were fine there.

Kindred

Did you actually change them before running repair_settings.php?

Because, if you did not, then there is no way that they were correct
Слaва
Украинi

Robin28

Quote from: Kindred on February 17, 2017, 09:31:26 PM
Did you actually change them before running repair_settings.php?

Because, if you did not, then there is no way that they were correct

How can I change the paths without repair_settings? I can't understand. Would be good if you check my forum yourself and tell me what's the problem, I'll provide you admin panel and ftp if needed. Because I can't understand and I didn't move it myself, someone did it for me.

Illori

did you pay that other person to move it for you? if so then if i was you i would ask them to fix this issue.

if you actually provided us with the link to your forum maybe we can tell more then just what the screenshots are telling us.

Robin28

Kindred

OK... atually, your site appears just fine, as a guest.

And the posts that appear to the right of the screen are not "unread" posts -- they are "the most recent post in that board"

the unread posts text is a LINK to show the unread posts on a new screen
Слaва
Украинi

Robin28

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2017, 08:15:58 AM
OK... atually, your site appears just fine, as a guest.

And the posts that appear to the right of the screen are not "unread" posts -- they are "the most recent post in that board"

the unread posts text is a LINK to show the unread posts on a new screen

It works fine because when I re-created the topics, the most recent posts in that board appeared. Some of the posts that are in database but are lost in the forums and some posts are mixed up, like a post appears to be in two boards and when I click it, it says "Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (id_msg)" , and what about package installation? I've checked every solution so far but it's still not fixed.

Kindred

So, your ACTUAL problem was that, when you transferred hosts, none of your messages were on the new host?

Well
1- I wish you had said that in the first place, rather than describing the issue as unread posts...
2- by recreating posts now you have basically made it impossible for us to actually find the actual porblem
(which, I suspect, was, actually, that whoever had transferred your system didn't transfer the entire database - especially the smf_messages table)

as for changing paths....  the paths, urls and database connection info can be manually changed directly in files and the database, since that's all the repair_settings.php does (repair_settings just does it all in one spot with a simple interface)
Слaва
Украинi

Robin28

As you can see, here hxxp:forum.upgmta.ga/index.php/board,13.0.html [nonactive] and hxxp:forum.upgmta.ga/index.php/topic,86.0.html [nonactive] here.

Moreover, when I posted something I just noticed that there is another problem..... (see the highlighted area)

What should I do now?

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2017, 08:28:04 AM
So, your ACTUAL problem was that, when you transferred hosts, none of your messages were on the new host?
Some messages were transferred and I've seen smf_messages file, some of the topics/posts are there but not in forums.

Kindred

those boards are not visible to guests

also, looking at your image shows nothing wrong, to my eye...   instead of just putting an image, you need t use words (as well) to describe what you THINK is wrong.

Right... looking around a little...

Whoever transferred your site transferred all the files, but doesn't appear to have transferred most of the database.

Do you still have access to your old host?  (you had better hope so - because that is the only plae you can get a good copy of the old database)
Слaва
Украинi

Robin28

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2017, 08:36:08 AM
those boards are not visible to guests

also, looking at your image shows nothing wrong, to my eye...   instead of just putting an image, you need t use words (as well) to describe what you THINK is wrong.

Right... looking around a little...

Whoever transferred your site transferred all the files, but doesn't appear to have transferred most of the database.

Do you still have access to your old host?  (you had better hope so - because that is the only plae you can get a good copy of the old database)

I have a database but its old than the latest one, I can use it but I actually don't know how to install it.

About that picture, I was trying to state that I posted a reply in one board and it appeared to the other board's most recent topics automatically.

Kindred

Yeah.... your system needs a complete reload of files and database from your backup.   Whoever moved your forum didn't do a particularly good job of doing that
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: