News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Anti Godmodding/mary sue roleplaying mod

Started by Adora, February 21, 2017, 01:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adora

I.... have a suggestion, and I'm not sure it's been done before with the Battle mod or other RPG mods. I wanted to have a mod that discourages god modding in roleplaying situations. A bit like play by post roleplaying, with a few features of tabletop. Basically, upon registration, players create a subaccount (I think there is already a subaccount mod) with initially restricted forum access, to prevent people from starting threads without getting characters approved.

When creating a subaccount, they can select from several predetermined classes that have their own powers/abilities that are established by the admin. An admin should be able to create new classes, or extend the max EXP cap. An admin can decide whether or not users have a limited amount of points they can assign to a variety of skillsets within their class, or if their class has a uniform and predetermined skillset. Admins should have the ability to change the initial skillset value, just in case the stats a player chooses is impractical to have for the backstory/personality they've established.

The users' stats are shown right below where their avatar image would display, and it changes based on the dice rolls a user makes. Attempts to change the dice roll should result in a warning and is considered cheating. Therefore it should not affect the results displayed by the stat chart.

There should be an admin option to cap how many times a skill can be used in a particular thread in order to prevent people from maxing out too quickly. People who attempt to dice roll when a skillset has been exhausted may receive a warning, or an error message that warns them that the skill cannot be used. The dice shouldn't actually roll if the skill has been exhausted.

Roleplayers tell the story the way they normally would in a regular play by post roleplay setting, however, they roll a dice for certain skill checks, and must roleplay the results of that dice roll as a way of discouraging godmodding and jumping into the game as a very powerful character. It also encourages people to practice a skill enough to be reasonably powerful in-story. An admin should determine whether or not skill points can "level up" with attempted dice rolls (failures) or only with successful rolls. A player's stat points should be automatically added to the outcome of a dice roll.

A player can choose to "purchase/unlock" more powerful skills within their class after they have accumulated enough points at a points store of sorts.

Lastly I think there should be some sort of bb code that determines whether or not a player attacks a monster/enemy or another player. Certain "bb codes" have predetermined stats from the admin. Perhaps admins can determine whether or not certain bbcodes (monsters/enemies/etc.) are location restricted so that people don't just fight whatever they want to get points. That's all! Whew! Sorry that was all over the place.

Looking

I have done similar and more here, my own community, but what you are asking requires a lot of coding.

Advertisement: