News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF for Wordpress

Started by samhtb, February 23, 2017, 04:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhtb

Hi SMF masters, I have searched on this site about if any topic about SMF plugin/extension for WordPress CMS. I am considering to have a forum on my site but how the SMF looks native on my WordPress site? I mean the forum sessions would be showing the native WordPress elements too. Such as the main menu, sidebar, footer of the WordPress.

Please if any information related to SMF extension for WordPress, inform me. Thank you!

Linkjay

I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

samhtb

Thank you for your respond. I hope shoe links are helpful.

shinglis

It will be interesting to see if the fairly recent Wpforo plugin will dominate the forum wordpress area.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpforo/

For me at the moment sticking with SMF.  ;D

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

marianco

Looks like the best solution so far is: httxx://wordpress.org/plugins/wp2smfbridge/

But it may not work for everyone.

Sad.

Westwegoman

I have been using the wp2smf plugin for quite a while and it has worked fine for me.

mysimplesite

Quote from: shinglis on February 23, 2017, 09:50:36 AM
It will be interesting to see if the fairly recent Wpforo plugin will dominate the forum wordpress area.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpforo/

For me at the moment sticking with SMF.  ;D

wp-foro not ready for prime time quite yet. I tried it for a week but it's too expensive if you want to achieve any functionality worth a darn.

It is easy to setup but out of the box you can't change icons to suit your site, there's no Private Messaging unless you buy the Addon nor the ability to insert/embed video/audio without buying an addon.

I downloaded wp-foro because it had gotten good reviews for easy of use and intergration with Wordpress. But having to pay for even the ability to have Personal/Private Messages or the ability to upload a video or music is ridiculous.

Not even having the ability, at this time, to customize your forum very much says to me the developers were looking more for a cash cow than a good product with only a few pay-to-play addons.

I have SMF running now, both 2.014 and beta 3 and they have so much more to offer users than wp-foro. Can't wait to see 2.1 go RC

I'd love it if Simple Machines had their own SMF-WordPress bridge. I bet a lot of WP users would jump on the bandwagon.

I'm sticking with SMF :)

Apostaganha

Its imposssible, for more than 7 years ive search for someting that works, and none really works, forget it.

your only chance is to embed the forum via iframe on a wordpress page.

Kindred

except that won't work as of several versions ago...   SMF won't run in an iframe, because it's a security risk
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Apostaganha

Quote from: Kindred on June 28, 2017, 04:01:39 PM
except that won't work as of several versions ago...   SMF won't run in an iframe, because it's a security risk

yes it does with a litte tweak, 2.014

https://www.apostaganha.com/forum-apostas/

Kindred

yup... I assume your "little tweak" was removing the security that we added.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Disabling it is not explicitly supported in 2.0 but is in 2.1.

That said, still shouldn't put it in an iframe when it's across domains, it's not like there aren't other ways to do this...

Shambles

ladyweb

Quote from: samhtb on February 23, 2017, 04:23:49 AM
Hi SMF masters, I have searched on this site about if any topic about SMF plugin/extension for WordPress CMS. I am considering to have a forum on my site but how the SMF looks native on my WordPress site? I mean the forum sessions would be showing the native WordPress elements too. Such as the main menu, sidebar, footer of the WordPress.

To go back to the original question. For anyone else finding this thread.

The file to edit is index.template.php in a new theme, based on chosen theme for the forum I added the WP header section after the body tag and the WP footer before the closing body tag. If you want side bars as well then you will need to add in a few floating divs to get the content to display where you want to see it.

I used 'static' html based on the WP page source code from the browser to add to the default theme. Tweak paths for any links and add a css file to your theme to fix any display and layout issues. Check for unique id definitions in the new SMF theme.

If you want to hide all things SMF then you will need to go deeper into the layout files for your SMF theme. The less you tweak the easier it will be to upgrade some time in the future.

For logins, the wp2smf bridge works fine. Disable registration in SMF to avoid any conflicts.

(I based my 2.0.14 upgrade on and older 1.1.x where there was a working smf2wp bridge so most users are already populated in the smf database tables. The wp and smf tables are in the same database.)

Advertisement: