News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Change the name of the SMF home folder in 2.0.13

Started by peterkroman, February 25, 2017, 04:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterkroman

Hi,
I am beeing bugged with a lot of Eastern European and North African spammers who try to access my forum, and who are not welcome or relevant here. I have the feeling that these spammers use some kind of robots searching the net for pages where a part of the URL is:  /SMF/index.php.

So what I would like to do is to change the URL by changing the name of the mail folder /SMF/ to another name. I am not sure just where and how in SMF I need to make changes for this to work. Does anybody know if there is a good and an safe way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Peter

Arantor

You don't need to change any of the code. There is a tool to help you do this - rename the folder and then use repair_settings.php to fix it - What is repair_settings.php?

peterkroman

Thaks Arantor,

I have looked into the "What is repair settings" article, and I am a little confused about where I should place the repair_settings-php file. My forum is located in this folder: /..../genealogiskforum.dk/SMF/. Should I place the repair_settings.php inside this SMF folder, or outsite in the folder /..../genealogiskforum.dk/

Regards Peter

Arantor

You put it inside the SMF folder, because that's where it'll look for all the SMF files.

peterkroman

Thanks Arantor,

I have done it, and it is working beautifully.

Have a nive week-end.

Regards Peter

Kindred

Just be aware that changing the path/URL will not stop the spammers

What you have done will have a very short term and, unlitmately no appreciable effect on spammers and will actually hurt your search engine rankings.

Instead, you sHould focus on preventing the spammers from registering in the first place.   See thE FAQ article on spam
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: