News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

GUI based application Linux Monitoring Tools?

Started by johnpaul2k2, March 14, 2017, 10:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpaul2k2

hello

I am new in server management; recently I bought a dedicated server (self-managed), but I am learning my ways towards command.

I am looking for an app that will give full details on what's going on inside my server,
if there are high CPU usage, I can easily detect the particular such as plugin or theme or any malware and where they are all hidden, so can easily remove them.

i asked my host if there is any GUI based application, they suggested sysstat and psacct through SSH, i don't really like using ssh all the time, with an interface app, it will be easier for me.

please is there any app like that

Illori

it is possible your server is not even running a GUI so you need to determine that first and go from there. if they do, then find out how to connect and then which version of linux is being run before an app can be suggested. are you comfortable installing apps? are you comfortable building apps from source code?

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Illori on March 14, 2017, 10:23:01 AM
it is possible your server is not even running a GUI so you need to determine that first and go from there. if they do, then find out how to connect and then which version of linux is being run before an app can be suggested. are you comfortable installing apps? are you comfortable building apps from source code?

i am on Server: OS Linux Software Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) Version 64Bit, System: PHP 5.5.38 Active Plugins 20 Zend 2.5.0
i am using Control Panel and Webuzo Panel
yes i am comfortable installing apps because they are loans of them
yes I will suggest to my Panel admin because they also open to people suggest and source code to build app

Illori

that is not the exact version of linux that is running on the system. is it running centos, ubuntu etc? just because you have a control panel does not you have a GUI installed to even handle the app you want installed. installing apps on linux is very different from a web app.

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Illori on March 14, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
that is not the exact version of linux that is running on the system. is it running centos, ubuntu etc? just because you have a control panel does not you have a GUI installed to even handle the app you want installed. installing apps on linux is very different from a web app.

centos 7

Illori

how about your answer all the questions i have asked. they have been asked for a reason.

Arantor

So, yeah, you don't have a GUI on the server meaning your choices are a control panel on the web or SSH.

If you really want to learn, go SSH.

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Illori on March 15, 2017, 08:57:04 AM
how about your answer all the questions i have asked. they have been asked for a reason.

the last you asked, i answered
it's CentOS 7

Quote from: Arantor on March 15, 2017, 09:43:32 AM
So, yeah, you don't have a GUI on the server meaning your choices are a control panel on the web or SSH.

If you really want to learn, go SSH.
SSH is good but GUI is better for newbie

Arantor

Illori

Quote from: Illori on March 14, 2017, 10:23:01 AM

see above? i asked you several questions, you did not really answer them without me asking additional times and you still have not actually verified that your server even has a GUI running, but arantor answered that for us.

Xarkurai

Webmin could do what you want.
You can access it through a weblink (it's a web based interface, not a GUI) and it allows you to install apps as modules while webmin may also recognize SSH installed apps. It will also give you a status of your system.

SSH is the way to go though. When something goes wrong then GUI won't help you.
It's more to make things "easier". If you decide to not work with SSH then you might end up with troubles in the future.
Since you took self-managed I suggest you start learning it (security, ..).

I'm simply providing you with an alternative which is in my opinion, good enough.
Useful paid mod: Badge Awards - Award members for actions

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Xarkurai on March 16, 2017, 06:18:29 AM
Webmin could do what you want.
You can access it through a weblink (it's a web based interface, not a GUI) and it allows you to install apps as modules while webmin may also recognize SSH installed apps. It will also give you a status of your system.

SSH is the way to go though. When something goes wrong then GUI won't help you.
It's more to make things "easier". If you decide to not work with SSH then you might end up with troubles in the future.
Since you took self-managed I suggest you start learning it (security, ..).

I'm simply providing you with an alternative which is in my opinion, good enough.

thank you

Arantor

This of course opens up a security risk to your server if not properly configured.

Honestly if you continued with unmanaged you're going to need to use SSH one way or another, and if the lack of monitoring is a problem, get a managed service.

Advertisement: