News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Why in 2017. defaut templates are not mobile?

Started by ufolog100, March 17, 2017, 01:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ufolog100

There are many "mobile" themes, but why the main not yet mobile, we have 2017 ....

Antes

Curve2 (which is main theme of SMF 2.1) is mobile friendly as default. But if you need help in Curve (which is main theme of SMF 2.0) has modification (official); http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4040

br360

Also, version 2.0 came out in 2011 when mobile friendly/responsive wasn't as utilized as it is now. In comparison; mybb, vBulletin 4 and IPB 3.x are also not responsive out of the box and require mods/add ons for responsiveness.

Like Antes posted above; there is a mod that makes the default theme mobile friendly, and like you mentioned- there are so many awesome mobile friendly themes out there that are just a click or two away- that making a site responsive is a piece of cake. ;)

Gary

Quote from: br360 on March 17, 2017, 02:25:22 PM
Also, version 2.0 came out in 2011 when mobile friendly/responsive wasn't as utilized as it is now.
That's not counting the fact that Curve itself was developed around 2007-2008-ish. Long before a time when responsive design was even a thing.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

digger

Kindred

And, as said several dozen times now, there are many responsive themes and even a mod to make the default theme responsive.

So, stop complaining and use it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

digger-as Kindred says:

Quote from: Kindred on January 17, 2018, 08:10:50 PM
even a mod to make the default theme responsive.

It's called "Responsive Curve", and it works a treat.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Ewap

And, as said several dozen times now, there are many responsive themes and even a mod to make the default theme responsive.

Lol... I think what we really want is a theme for mobile and theme for desktop. Most responsive themes aren't all that responsive you know.

Sorry for the quote though...

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Ewap on January 17, 2018, 09:01:17 PM

Lol... I think what we really want is a theme for mobile and theme for desktop. Most responsive themes aren't all that responsive you know.

Sorry for the quote though...
And again, that's why 2.1 has a responsive theme by default... 2.0 templates are not going to change.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Ewap

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on January 17, 2018, 09:02:47 PM
And again, that's why 2.1 has a responsive theme by default... 2.0 templates are not going to change.

Yep, I get the whole responsive thing, but why not all one use a custom theme for mobile on detect and a different theme entirely for desktop. Just like vanillaforums.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Ewap on January 17, 2018, 09:07:08 PM
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on January 17, 2018, 09:02:47 PM

Yep, I get the whole responsive thing, but why not all one use a custom theme for mobile on detect and a different theme entirely for desktop. Just like vanillaforums.
That isn't a very good idea. And having 2.1 finished is more important than reworking on 2.0 default themes (which isn't going to happen to core anyway because it would break mods), you can't have both.

That said, you can expect a update to Responsive Curve before 2.1 gets a final release, so that it works better than it does now. Or you can use one of the responsive themes/mods that are around.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

separate mobile vs desktop is an out-of-date concept. Responsive is the correct way to handle things.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ewap

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 18, 2018, 12:27:07 AM
I have one for 2.0 a paid one that has a detection mod https://smfmobile.com [nofollow]

Thanks, but it has some kind of limitations. Tested it once, using CAF service.
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on January 18, 2018, 06:27:08 AM
That isn't a very good idea. And having 2.1 finished is more important than reworking on 2.0 default themes (which isn't going to happen to core anyway because it would break mods), you can't have both.

That said, you can expect a update to Responsive Curve before 2.1 gets a final release, so that it works better than it does now. Or you can use one of the responsive themes/mods that are around.
Ahhh! Thanks for that!
Quote from: Kindred on January 18, 2018, 07:05:08 AM
separate mobile vs desktop is an out-of-date concept. Responsive is the correct way to handle things.

And I thought it was a new deal... Lol
Thanks for the correction!

ufolog100

live627

See answers above. They are all still valid.

/loock

Advertisement: