Core dump files

Started by forumite, March 20, 2017, 01:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forumite

I've recently become aware of core dump files accumulating in my SMF directory, and quickly eating up disk space. Running a search here, I thought I might have found the fix in this topic. However, I already have 'disable hostname lookups' checked. Any other hints or suggestions? TIA.

Running SMF 2.0.13.

Illori

ask your host to look into it. it means the php/apache process has crashed.

ziycon

I've experienced similar issues a couple of years ago and it required and edit to a source file in SMF. Can you check you error log and see if there is anything being thrown up?

forumite

Thanks Illori. I've been working with my host, trying to figure out what's causing it. Yesterday, when I posted here, core dump files were being created at a rate faster than I could delete them. I had the forum in 'maintenance mode' for several hours, but the files kept coming. Grabbed some ZZZs, and there are no core dump files this morning. I'm not holding my breath. Host couldn't identify a cause, and confirmed I had plenty of headroom in server (VPS) resources.

forumite

Thanks ziycon. I'm seeing various errors categorized as General and as Undefined. The most common file mentioned in the error log is Subs.php . Anything specifically I should be looking for?

I've been using SMF quite happily for 12 years, and this is the first time I've seen core dump files. Made me suspicious about something having changed in the environment &/or server resources, but these weren't confirmed by the host.

forumite

Stop the presses! The host changed something in my php configuration while I grabbed a few ZZZs. Trying to find out what the change was.

forumite

The host changed the php handler from SuPHP to DSO, and core dumps appear to have stopped, at least for now.

Steve

Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

forumite

Advertisement: