News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems with moving database to new server

Started by burningwheel3, March 30, 2017, 04:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burningwheel3

first which repairs_setting.php do i use?. the one i'm using says "SMF 2.0 Settings Repair Tool" so maybe that's my problem. I have SMF 1.1 RC3 installed

the error i get get running this tool is attached. even though MySQL is selected, this seems to indicate it's not. the other 2 errors are optional, so I'm not sure why those are showing up

all other setting are accurate. db name, username etc

never had an issue moving a database before

Kindred

Well, you are using a version which has not been supported for YEARS now.

1.1RC3 is not even the gold release in the 1.1.x line and is at leats 21 revisions our of date (current 1.1.x is 1.1.21, and even that is only receiving bare support because it is at end of life and will cease all support, completely, with the release of 2.1)

So...   you really need to upgrade

Do you still have access to the old host?
If so, then I recommend upgrading, in place, on the old host (update to 1.1.21 and then do the upgrade to 2.0.13) - and the moving the upgraded 2.0.13 forum to the new host.

that being said...   if you have moved the database and moved the files, then you can edit the Settings.php file directly to update th database connection details, the paths and urls...   and then update the other system urls and paths in the smf admin, even without repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

burningwheel3

i do BUT the forum stopped working because i apparently had to many "processes" running on my account (i seem to recall that's what they said). i had no idea how to fix this issue, so i asked if upgrading my account would help, they said yes. maybe i didn't need to upgrade as they claimed, but i don't care, since i'm getting a faster server for less money now anyways..

so it seems upgrading on that server isn't likely.

this was the error message i was getting on the forum when it stopped working.
--
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.
--

i'm not that well versed in this stuff as you can tell

Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

You should be able to find database credentials in the MySQL db section of your host control panel.  If it doesn't show you the password, just set a new one.  Some hosts let you use 'localhost' as $db_server, some require actual server name.  Don't remember offhand how Hostgator works, but if your old Settings.php has a server address, you'd need to update that for new server.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

that is the problem. find a new host that is not oversold. they should be able to move your forum over to the new server and do the upgrade there.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

burningwheel3

So this "processes" thing happened because of hostgator being to big?

The thing is they have good prices and i just renewed with them for a year. I run like 10 personal wesites, several of them i run forums on

Whats another good cheap host? I used to use httpme but they were expensive

Any thanks for everyones help

Sir Osis of Liver

You should be able to run your forum on Hostgator.  They may have upgraded php beyond 5.4, which would cause your forum to generate many errors, which may be the excess processes they're complaining about. I would suggest you try upgrading where you are, before attempting a move.

If you require assistance, pm your forum link, admin access, and cpanel access (url, username, password), and I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

burningwheel3

Oh wow. I will try Sir Osis. Thanks so much. May take you up on your offer if i can't get it done

Illori

i think your issue is due to the host you have. if you are positive that the database username and password are correct then there is not a ton that can be done to resolve that issue if your host will not help you. you could try moving the forum to your PC and setup wamp or xampp and see if you can get it upgraded. for a host check out our paid hosting board.

EthanStark

If you are using SQL Server 2005, you can use the same method to migrate data from SQL Server 7.0 or from SQL Server 2000. However, the management tool in SQL Server 2005 differs from the management tool in SQL Server 7.0 or in SQL Server 2000. You should use SQL Server Management Studio instead of the SQL Server Enterprise Manager. Additionally, you should use the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard (DTSWizard.exe) instead of the Data Transformation Services Import and Export Data Wizard.

Restore the full database backup on the destination server and specify the WITH NORECOVERY option.

Note To prevent additional database modifications, direct users to stop database activity on the source server.
Perform a transaction log backup and restore the transaction log backup to the destination server by using the WITH RECOVERY option. Downtime is limited to the time of the transaction log backup and restore. For more information, see the "RESTORE" sub-topic in the "Transact-SQL Reference" topic of SQL Server Books Online.

Ethan Stark

burningwheel3

Thanks Ethan. I haven't had a chance to try anything yetn so i really appreciate this input. I'm going to work on it this week. Will post with results or lack of

Kindred

Ummmm...   Ethan, I think that you are in the wrong place.   Most hosts use MySQL, not sql server...

Basically, your instructions are completely pointless
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you still have access to the forum on your old server?

- R. Waters

burningwheel3

OK. I got the forum back up by just running the upgrade on the old server!

now, the old theme doesn't work so i changed to the default theme, but it's still not being recognized. see attached. do i need to run repair setting now?

Illori

burningwheel3

that didn't do any good. and when i changed to the default theme it just went back to the incompatible one. so i just deleted it and now it went to the default one. weird. now just some images aren't showing up, like smiley's

thank you so much everyone.very much appreciated

Steve

Did you save the recommended settings? (no offense intended)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: