News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Notifications are turned off by default for new registered users

Started by Shkic, March 31, 2017, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shkic

Hi there.

I'm using Beta 2 and didn't get one thing.

Even if in my administration panel:

index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings;sa=alerts

I turn ON notifications for users:

QuoteThis page allows you to set the default notification options for users.

newly registered users still have ALL notifications disabled.

How is that possible? Is this a bug or what?

I had upgraded SMF from 2.0. Also earlier in 2.0 I had alerts by SMFpacks.com - maybe this is a reason?

Also maybe someone can tell me how I can turn ON notifications for all already registered users manually?

Arantor

Using an 18 month old version of SMF might not help here...

Shkic

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 10:06:03 AM
Using an 18 month old version of SMF might not help here...

So what is your proposal? Update to Beta 3 even if there's no public release?

Arantor

That's the thing, if you're going to run a pre-release version on your site, understand what you're getting into and get yourself out of it.

Whatever issue you have is almost certainly fixed by now.

Shkic

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 10:10:47 AM
That's the thing, if you're going to run a pre-release version on your site, understand what you're getting into and get yourself out of it.

Whatever issue you have is almost certainly fixed by now.

Thanks Arantor. I will try to take a look for Beta 3.

Shkic

Thanks Illori, but why I can't find upgrade.php file in github version? Or I just need to rewrite files with new ones?

Arantor

Shkic

Updated to newest Beta 3 version and bug still there.  Even if I turn ON alerts for users in admin panel, new registered users have disabled all alerts in their profile.

Arantor

Works for me on today's beta 3.

I wonder if it's a data change that the upgrade doesn't cover.

Shkic

When new user registering, in

smf_user_alerts_prefs DB

adding only one:

2879 announcements 0

(2879 is id_member, announcements is alert_pref and 0 is alert_value).

No data adding such like topic_notify, pm_notify, msg_quote etc.

Arantor

It's only supposed to add new rows to that table if the user decides they want to change from the forum defaults. I forgot how or where the defaults are stored, but it was designed to not add a ton of rows every user unless it needed to.

Try checking if the id_member is 0.

Shkic

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 12:56:07 PM
It's only supposed to add new rows to that table if the user decides they want to change from the forum defaults. I forgot how or where the defaults are stored, but it was designed to not add a ton of rows every user unless it needed to.

Oh, I thought there must be all that rows for new users.

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 12:56:07 PM
Try checking if the id_member is 0.

You mean try to check in smf_user_alerts_prefs is there a id_member with 0? Yep, he is there with all data.

If I change default mention notification to disable:

0 msg_mention 0

if to enable

0 msg_mention 1

Everything seems fine, but still this options not working for new users.

Arantor

If you change just msg_mention, that only affects the default for whether you get an alert if someone mentions you in a message, not any of the others - and if you already saved it for yourself, it won't spontaneously change just for you because you already saved values for you.

At least, that's how it was when I first wrote this in 2014...

Shkic

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 01:14:00 PM
If you change just msg_mention, that only affects the default for whether you get an alert if someone mentions you in a message, not any of the others - and if you already saved it for yourself, it won't spontaneously change just for you because you already saved values for you.

I understand that.

I just can't get why new registered users do not have enabled alerts by default when I enable it in admin panel. It's very strange.

id_member 0 belongs to?

Arantor

id_member 0 is the list of defaults, that's the point. They apply to everyone - and then user's own defaults are applied on top.

What are all the rows where id_member = 0 ?

Shkic

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2017, 01:36:03 PM
id_member 0 is the list of defaults, that's the point. They apply to everyone - and then user's own defaults are applied on top.

What are all the rows where id_member = 0 ?

So by logic everything must work fine, but somehow, it's not working.

Arantor

OK, so what notifications do you expect to be actually going to newly registered users? How are you verifying they are not getting these?

Advertisement: