issues with main menu's width

Started by ninik, March 31, 2017, 11:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninik

Hi guys,

in the past I did some changes (which unfortunately I do not remember) and I did add a couple more buttons in the main menu.

Thing is that due to its width (regarding the main menu) some buttons are hidden (attached is a picture so as to give you guys an idea of it).

My question is: how can I increase the width of the main menu and the buttons' width as well?

What I am trying to say is that: although I did increase the main menus width from the templates' css the buttons remained hidden... and the outcome is a mess which you guys can see in the pic attached...

My forum version is 2.13
and the theme that I am currently using is ambassador.

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated!

I thank you in advance

Edit 1:

I increased the width of the main menu, from the templates index.css which was the following section:

/* Styles for the standard dropdown menus.
------------------------------------------------------- */
#main_menu
{
   padding: 0 0.5em;
   float: left;
   width: 100%;
   height: 30px;
   background: #000;
   margin: 0;
}

I hope that I could shed some light

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like the buttons (Logout, View Calendar) are wrapped, not hidden.  If you have more buttons than will fit on one line at specified font, they will wrap to next line.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

ninik

hi Sir Osis of Liver,

first of all I would like to thank you for your quick replay; and you must probably be right.

In the meantime I did reinstall the theme (while deleting the old one) and here is the outcome:

The theme works fine, and the issue is fixed, in Chrome but not in Mozilla or Microsoft's browser... what I get is as if I have 2 ambassador themes over the other...

Checking the other themes they all work fine in all browsers...

Maybe it is a compatibility issue with the 2.13 version due to the fact that ambassador was meant for the 2.06 version?

But still Chrome illustrates everything fine...

Any ideas? Otherwise I will have to change the theme the way it looks in the other two browsers

Sir Osis of Liver

Installed it in 2.0.13 test forum, looks fine in IE11 and FF43.  Link to your forum?

- R. Waters

ninik

Kindred

Do be aware, that by reinstalling the theme, yiunwill have to manually install any mods that you have into the new/clean theme
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Not seeing any categories or topics, but otherwise theme looks ok in IE and FF.

- R. Waters

ninik

HI Kindred,

I do have to admit that this I do not know.

Thing is that whatever new theme I try out that is designed for the 2.13 version; everything works perfectly fine and flawless.

Looking at the packages (regardless of the theme that I am running) they appear to be on and running well.

Regarding the issue that you brought up, I do not know...

ninik

Hi Sir Osis of Liver,

yes in order to enter/see the forum someone would have to register; otherwise, everything remains hidden for none members.

You might be right, but from my laptop besides Chrome they appeared messed up.

Consequently, I switched to a theme that is designed for the 2.13 version; hence everything appears fine...

After that, I will try to see what can be done...

In any event guys, I would like to thank you both for your time, help, advice and guidance...

Thank you  :)

Kindred

Also, anyngheme deisgned for 2.0.x will work on any other 2.0.x version. Nothing has significantly changed in the themes/templates
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ninik

Hi Kindred, I see...

Question, assuming what you said is true, while reading in the past various posts here in the forums, I read that a member in here he/she had roughly 100 packages installed (I do not knwo wjat he did install but it appeared to me a huge number)...

In any event, in such a case would that member have to re-install 100 packages? If so, this is madness...

ninik

Kindred,

you were right that I have to re-install my mods.

DO I have just to uninstall and reinstall them?

Gary

That's one way. The other is to look at the XML files and determine what would need to be added for the themes, but that can be a more advanced task.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

ninik

Hi Gary,

your observations are right on the mark. In short, I did open the XML files but (regarding the ambassador theme) I was unable to resolve the matter; probably due to the lack of experience.

Now, what I will write below is how I dealt with my specific issue; maybe something like a helpful future reference for another member or members of the simple machines forum.

First of all, I always keep the simple machine core theme because it acts like a guiding light for me.

So, what does that mean: if I add a new mod etc and the mod works on the core theme than it should work on the new theme as well. If not, than usually I need to do some tweaking on the new installed theme (as said: in case a new installed mod does not work).

So far, the simple machines core theme proved to be something like an all-solving guide for me (so, my respects to the guys who programmed it).

Now, regarding the ambassador theme, for a reason unknown to me, regardless of what I did, I could not fix it; so I went ahead and installed one of the new themes that was good-looking (from my point of view, of course).

Furthermore, in my forums I have a mod about social icons etc. In this new theme the pics appeared broken while in the core theme everything was fine.

Checking the case in which if somebody clicks on them what would happen; they worked and redirected the user to the specific social media.

From that I could deduct that it was not a programming issue but more of a CSS problem.

Consequently, I checked the folders and realized that the social media icons where not available in the new theme's->image folder.

So as to solve the problem, I copied-pasted the specific images to the aforementioned folder, and afterwards everything was fine.

I do not know if my message will help someone but the least I can do is to write it down so as to contribute a little to the marvelous community of simple machines.

That being said, I thank you Gary for spending some time, dealing with my issue.

Kindred

do be aware... there is actually a theme called "core"

the default theme, shipped with SMF 2.0.x is called "Curve"
and this theme should NEVER EVER EVER EVER be deleted.
Most themes only define a few files that represent the differences - any file not defined in a custom theme falls back and has the default (Curve) file used.

If the mods that you have installed do not change the (few) files used by the custom theme(s), then, switching themes has no issue.
When you install a mod, if the mod does change one of the files used by the custom theme, you are asked if you want to install it into the custom theme as well as the default.

finally...   every mod on our customization/mod site has a link to "parse" the mod for installation, which might be easier for you to understand than the pure XML
Слaва
Украинi

ninik

Hi Kindred,

to begin with, thank you for all your clarifications especially by clarifying matters between "core" and "curve".

But most importantly, for giving me ONE more reason not to touch the "curve" theme (as well as the "core").

And yes indeed, the couple of times that I needed to do some changes I went through the "parse" process that you mentioned.

Regarding the mods, I was checking them in the new forum theme to observe if they work... so far, and aside from the case of pictures that I mentioned above, everything is OK...

Frankly, I seriously thank you for your last message because so far I did not realize the gravity of importance that the "curve" theme brings with it.

So yes, thank you Kindred!!!  :)

PS: I would like to ask you something, regarding the mods: in some cases when I wanted to install a couple of mods, they passed the tests of the "curve" and "core" themes but they failed to pass some tests in some other (new) themes that I have installed... consequently, I decided NOT to install them. Did I do the right thing, or was there something else that I could have done?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Steve

If after reading Kindred's link, you don't feel comfortable trying to make the manual changes needed, that doesn't mean you can't go ahead and install the mod and just leave the theme that fails unchecked. That just means that theme won't have the mod installed and won't have the mod's functions.

I do it all the time, particularly with the Core and one other theme I have that constantly fails.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

actually, it's slightly more complicated than that...  because the theme may be customizing only a few of the files changed by the mod...  in which case, the default theme files will be used, and the source files will always be changed...

Which means, if the mod does not get installed into a theme with all edits, then -- if that theme is used by any user -- it may generate a whole passel of errors.
Слaва
Украинi

ninik

Hi guys and thank you for replying to my question  :)

Kindred, indeed with one link you answered all of my questions (and I did bookmark the link that you did provide me with)...

Steve, first I would like to thank you for your reply. To be honest, whenever I see (multiple) red "failed-notes" from a mod, and if I am unable to solve matters through the propositions that are provided from the parse section of a mod... I do not feel comfortable to install the mod.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying that maybe due to inexperience or that I would prefer to "play it safe" I just avoid installing a mod that fails on multiple occasions...

In other words, whenever I see that a mod does not pass the tests in the curve and core themes, I avoid installing it.

This is just my approach, not necessarily saying that its the right one...  :)

Advertisement: