issues with main menu's width

Started by ninik, March 31, 2017, 11:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on April 03, 2017, 11:20:51 AM
actually, it's slightly more complicated than that...  because the theme may be customizing only a few of the files changed by the mod...  in which case, the default theme files will be used, and the source files will always be changed...

Which means, if the mod does not get installed into a theme with all edits, then -- if that theme is used by any user -- it may generate a whole passel of errors.

I meant not checking the theme at all so none of the mod gets installed into it. I've never had an error doing it that way. If I'm still not understanding correctly, please let me know. :)

Quote from: ninik on April 03, 2017, 12:59:00 PMSteve, first I would like to thank you for your reply. To be honest, whenever I see (multiple) red "failed-notes" from a mod, and if I am unable to solve matters through the propositions that are provided from the parse section of a mod... I do not feel comfortable to install the mod.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying that maybe due to inexperience or that I would prefer to "play it safe" I just avoid installing a mod that fails on multiple occasions...

In other words, whenever I see that a mod does not pass the tests in the curve and core themes, I avoid installing it.

This is just my approach, not necessarily saying that its the right one...  :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Do what you're comfortable with. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

I understood what you meant Steve...  :)

And yes, you are missing something... and have been lucky if you use a theme that you have ignored installin a mod into and not had errors.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Strange. I added all my themes at the beginning years ago and have since then installed over 70 mods and some custom ones and still haven't gotten a single error in relation to themes or mods after leaving the Core and Back n Black themes unchecked when installing.

Just to be clear in my mind, you're saying if I'm going to install a mod and it does its test and shows that that it fails in certain themes, and I leave those themes unchecked and install the mod, that the mod will affect the themes I left unchecked anyway?

Illori

most likely the mod will NOT work on that theme or not work correctly if the failed code is not added to the themes files.

Steve

That's the behavior I would expect.

See the attached (pretend it says test failed instead of successful on the core theme). If I don't select the core theme I don't understand how the mod would affect it at all.

Edited for clarity (I hope).

Edit 2: I'll wait for a response but I think a light bulb lit while I was in the shower. :P

Kindred

Well, the core theme is slightly different, since it does not use any of the default. Theme fikes...

However, what I am trying to say is..   If you do not install a mod into a theme, and then allow people to use that  theme, you may get errors in your log, since the mod is now partially installed into the source files and SOME template files....

The same can happen if you install a new theme AFTER installing mods
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ninik

Hi guys,

Kindred you said "and then allow people to use that  theme, "

Question: Why would someone want his/her forum members to choose their own themes?

Personally, I have unchecked that option... the reason being is that when I change something in the forum etc... I know for sure that what I see, is what the other members see as well (obviously I check the changes in various browsers)... Consequently, I can keep track of all the changes, the looks etc inside the forum.

I am not saying that this is what somebody should do, I am just saying that this is my approach...  :)

Kindred

I have had several forums and which I allowed the users to pick from a limited set of themes, all of which were configured to display the way I wanted them to look. Primarily, light versus dark
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

@ Kindred - that's the light bulb that went off. So now I understand and thank you for your patience. :)

@ ninik - really? You don't allow users to use select their own themes from whatever you have installed? I wouldn't be a member long because certain themes hurt my eyes and some are just plain unpleasant in my opinion. It is, of course, your forum to run as you wish ...

Kindred

On the other hand, Steve. I have several forum in which there is only one choice for a theme as wel. because as stated sometimes you want to force the look and feel of the theme to be something very specific
Слaва
Украинi

ninik

Hi guys,

@ Steve, frankly I never thought about what you just said, and the reason being that in all forums that I am a member - the administrator (and I assume together with the global mods) of them basically decide which theme to have... but such options I did not come across... Obviously, having such option proves that the forum may be advanced (in terms of programming) but still...

@Kindred, if I may, what is your take on the subject?

Kindred

Depends on the themes,  the site,  the admin, the users,  erd.

As I said,  I have run forums that do both ...
More themes do take more work to maintain with mods,  though.
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on April 04, 2017, 12:00:58 PMMore themes do take more work to maintain with mods,  though.

Ain't that the truth! :D

Advertisement: