News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Why 2.1 using ugly generic icons instead of font-awesome?

Started by Shkic, April 04, 2017, 11:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shkic

Yeah, yeah I know. What is ugly for me, doesn't mean that is ugly for you... But c'mon. Why in minimalistic 21st century 2.1 is still using old generic icons like from 1998 year?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Because Font Awesome is in no way generic or anything being used basically everywhere at this point.

landyvlad

and any number of other reasons....

Quote from: the font-awesome website
Apparently, Adblock Plus can remove Font Awesome brand icons with their "Remove Social Media Buttons" setting. We will not use hacks to force them to display
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Colin

I actually kind of like the Fugue icons. I agree that many sites are using font-awesome which tends to make them look rather generic. I think the added color and unique style of the Fugue icons is rather nice.

A retina version of these icons would be nice however.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

digger

Quote from: Shkic on April 04, 2017, 11:42:00 AM
Yeah, yeah I know. What is ugly for me, doesn't mean that is ugly for you... But c'mon. Why in minimalistic 21st century 2.1 is still using old generic icons like from 1998 year?
Totally agree. SMF 2.1 looks so ugly with this icons.

Arantor

As opposed to generic using the exact same icons everyone else is using.

Kindred

Digger...  and, again,  we disagree
However, if it bugs you.. use a different theme. Issue solved, not even sure why this was ever raised.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Colin

Quote from: digger on April 05, 2017, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Shkic on April 04, 2017, 11:42:00 AM
Totally agree. SMF 2.1 looks so ugly with this icons.

Disagreement is a good thing. Make a customization to use font-awesome instead of the fugue icons!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

digger

Quote from: Colin on April 06, 2017, 01:28:14 AM
Make a customization to use font-awesome instead of the fugue icons!
SMF like a DIY for geeks.
Make a customization if you want clear icons. Make a customization if you want php7 support. Make a customization if you want ssl support. Make a customization if you want ipv6 support. Make a customization if you want modern TLD support.  Make a customization if you want not UTF-8 languages support. Make a customization if you want clear search which do search except saying about 2 chars for any natural language search request. Make a customization if you want anything else which modern forum software sould have "Out of box"...

Arantor

So you want it to look like all the others out the box? If so why not use one of the others?

Irisado

Quote from: digger on April 07, 2017, 09:41:46 AM
Make a customization if you want clear icons.

Subjective.

QuoteMake a customization if you want php7 support.

Already being worked on by the Team.

QuoteMake a customization if you want ssl support.

Already being worked on by the Team.

QuoteMake a customization if you want ipv6 support

Something that the Team is likely to look at in the future.

That addresses at least of the points you're making.

QuoteMake a customization if you want anything else which modern forum software sould have "Out of box"...

Should have is again entirely subjective.  It's just your opinion of what modern forum software should have.  It's not a fact.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

albertlast

Even the ipv6 stuff is already done,
since one year!

digger makes only the trump and throw many alternative facts in the room.

digger

Quote from: albertlast on April 09, 2017, 02:27:09 PM
Even the ipv6 stuff is already done,
I don't see ipv6 stuff in the SMF 2.0 current release.

Quote from: albertlast on April 09, 2017, 02:27:09 PM
since one year!
IPv6 was released in 1996.

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

digger

Quote from: d3vcho(); on April 09, 2017, 02:34:09 PM
He's talking about SMF 2.1
2.1 in development stage for years.
I am talking about current release, this don't have many things which sould have.

albertlast

your are here in smf 2.1 sub board,
no one cares here about old stuff.

and only for reminder mysql doesn't support ipv6 fully until now,
only a workaround exists since 2013 with ipv6 function.

Arantor

Eh, you don't *need* that extra function to build IPv6 stuff. I did an IPv6 implementation for an SMF fork 5 years ago.

d3vcho

The original subject is about 2.1 so stick to the topic
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

digger

Quote from: albertlast on April 09, 2017, 02:44:35 PM
no one cares here about old stuff.
Old stuff? Does we have a modern stuff already? I see only SMF 2.0 stuff and developer's playing area stuff with note "As this is in development, we do not recommend running SMF 2.1 on a production site" in the download section here.

Advertisement: