News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Hot topic icon

Started by JF3000, April 06, 2017, 09:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF3000

I couldn't find anything in the search or even if there is one. If a topic gains a lot of views and replies is there a mod that adds an icon next to the topic saying hot?

Steve

That's a default function in SMF as far as I know.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Only replies ...  not views

But yes, it is a standard part
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

And for views it's a waste of effort because older topics invariably accumulate views over time leading to all of them being "hot", especially in public boards where search engines say hi.

JF3000

Referring to hot if the topic not only has views but interaction as well. All good if no one wants to go there I will ask on freelancer. Thanks

Arantor

If it has interactions, it will have views, and SMF already does hot topic based on interaction...

dougiefresh

Unless you keep track of which topics are viewed over a period of time, let's say a week.  The more a topic is viewed, the higher the "rating" would be.  However, it is likely that keeping track of topic viewing like that might kill the forum performance, unless maintenance of said database is taken care of on a regular basis.  My suggestion on this maintaince issue would be period of time times two, and the database query pull the previous period that the database has entries for.....  The only problem I can see with this methid would be the first period of time the mod runs would not have data to pull from, plus changing the interval would screw up the stats retrieval...

The more I think about this, the easier it seems....  I might write this up....  Eventually....  O:)

Advertisement: