News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Add a New Page

Started by Harvester, April 07, 2017, 08:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvester

I am trying to add a new page.. I see a mod for it but its old (the support threads last post is an unanswered support question from 2013, that scares me) and I am worried about bringing errors to my forum. All I would like to do is add a new tab at the top that goes to a new page... I am trying to make an index of sorts...
Can anyone lead me in the right direction please?

Illori

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=331 should do the job for you. otherwise you are looking into a good bit of work to get it done without a mod.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Harvester on April 07, 2017, 08:40:36 AM
I am trying to add a new page.. I see a mod for it but its old (the support threads last post is an unanswered support question from 2013, that scares me) and I am worried about bringing errors to my forum. All I would like to do is add a new tab at the top that goes to a new page... I am trying to make an index of sorts...
Can anyone lead me in the right direction please?

Adding menu tabs is easy IF you are familiar with editing source, the menus are controlled in the Sources/Subs.php file near the bottom, not recommended as Illori says if you are not experienced at making edits, the mod may be better for you. The only concern you have by doing it manually is that you will need to repeat the edit if there is a version update...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

That doesn't address the extra page that the OP wants.

Good point, yea I just assumed that the extra page is already built...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Harvester

Quote from: Arantor on April 07, 2017, 10:37:08 AM

What I would like is a way to as a new page, with a tab at the top. I can create the page with html no problem..  My first site was SMF 1.x and back then there was a mod that allowed you to create pages and add new menu items in the main menu... I am hoping to find something like that for 2.0.13

Quote from: Harvester on April 08, 2017, 09:03:20 PM
Quote from: Arantor on April 07, 2017, 10:37:08 AM

What I would like is a way to as a new page, with a tab at the top. I can create the page with html no problem..  My first site was SMF 1.x and back then there was a mod that allowed you to create pages and add new menu items in the main menu... I am hoping to find something like that for 2.0.13

Yea Simple Portal and other portal mods have a "Pages" feature... or like I said, you can do it manually, since you are html savvy then it should be a breeze for ya...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

lurkalot

Yep, you could add a portal, then use the article system to build as many pages as you want, and even use one of the articles to build the index.  Then use something like ultimate menu or similar mod to add the tabs as required, without any coding at all.

A (very) rough example what I did here, http://cameracraniums.com  Click the articles button and you'll go to a index built into an article.  That leads you to your custom articles / pages.  You can build as many as you like, and don't need to use the portal for anything else if you don't want to.

I would recommend you set up a test site either locally or hosted and play with the various options, before committing any major changes to your main site.

Illori

Quote from: Illori on April 07, 2017, 08:59:08 AM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=331 should do the job for you. otherwise you are looking into a good bit of work to get it done without a mod.

this will do what you want and also add it to the menu.

Harvester

Quote from: Illori on April 09, 2017, 06:11:32 AM
Quote from: Illori on April 07, 2017, 08:59:08 AM

this will do what you want and also add it to the menu.

Thank you! This worked perfectly and I was able to accomplish what I set out to do.

Advertisement: