Forum new Topic icon not working

Started by afer, April 07, 2017, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afer

Noticed that on posting a couple of new test topics, the board icons remain in the off mode for that board.

I checked the images folder @ the server panel and all seems to be correct.

added note: the recent topics window shows show the new post... but without the "new icon" - don't know if both are related.

I searched this forum thru some similar issues but none matched this situation.

Arantor

afer

Kindred

I do not think that you understand how the new topic icon works...
if you go into a board and make a post, then the on.gif icon will not stay lit b cause it is not "unread topics" it is "new posts have been made since your last visit into the board"

So, from your explanation , it would appear to me that the very thing is working exactly as it should
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: afer on April 07, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Noticed that on posting a couple of new test topics, the board icons remain in the off mode for that board.

I checked the images folder @ the server panel and all seems to be correct.

added note: the recent topics window shows show the new post... but without the "new icon" - don't know if both are related.

I searched this forum thru some similar issues but none matched this situation.

Register a test account and log into that one, you should then see the "new icon" etc, if there are new posts.

afer

lurkalot - yes that was it... still getting used to SMF. My current forum for many years you see the icon change on refresh. Hopefully, time permitting I will have this one ready within a week.
Thanks you lurkalot !  ;D

afer

Add: logging in as a different member allows me to see new topic/post icon enabled. When I log in as myself, it is still as unactive... so let me get this straight - the poster never gets to see his own posts topics with new icon @ board ?

Arantor

No, you should normally see it change too for yourself.

lurkalot

If you reply to your post as a different user (test user) you'll see it when you log back in as yourself. 

Or, instead of logging in as test user, you could just click the "Mark Unread" button at the bottom of any topic, then you'll also see the new icon.

afer

Quote from: lurkalot on April 08, 2017, 03:31:51 PM
If you reply to your post as a different user (test user) you'll see it when you log back in as yourself.

oh, ok I see... I was used to seeing the 'on png'  immediatly popping up after making a new topic or post with the other system.

Kindred

Why would a new list by yourself ever be listed as a new topic for you? You just made the post, so, by definition, you have already read it. ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

afer

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2017, 08:32:13 PM
Why would a new list by yourself ever be listed as a new topic for you? You just made the post, so, by definition, you have already read it. ;)

That wasn't the point... I was concerned since I could not see the 'new topic icon' 'on.png' after making test post (making a new smf forum). Will be moving the old one with another forum software and was used to seeing the new topic icon load up... it would stay on for that day as new whether you read it or not. Since I couldn't see it, my concern was that others would also not see it. Still in the prepping stages.

btw - I notice here that the new topic 'on.png' still is on for me after I read a topic. huh... how 'bout that  :o

Advertisement: